William Warland - 1820 - 1893

William Warland was the son of John Warland (1798 - 1865) and nephew of William Henry Warland who migrated to New South Wales, George and James Warland, William and Robert, who migrated to South Australia, and Edward Warland, who migrated to New South Wales.

It is not yet know exactly when William Warland arrived in Australia. However, there is an interesting story about a man with the same name, around the same time, in the book 'A Fine Fortune' by JCF Johnson, published in weekly instalments in the Weekly Times (Melbourne) from 11 October 1879. The following are extracts from the story. There is, at this stage, no reason to believe it is the same person but the story describes events around the same time.

Chapter XIV (continued), published on 6 December 1879: [Holy] Joe had a companion now, an old blind man named Warland, whom he had known many years before in New South Wales, where Warland was the overseer of a station on which Joe had been employed. He had entirely lost his sight soon after arriving at the diggings, and was in his way down to Melbourne - in a returning dray - when Joe recognised him. ... On one clear frosty morning in early spring, we find [Calico] Jack and Fred with Joe and old Warland, seated around the big fireplace at the wayside store. ... Warland was a well-living man enough, honest and self-respecting, but one who had never troubled himself much about religion in any form, and who, if he belong to any church, was an Episcopalian.

Chapter XVI (continued), published 13 December 1879: [Warland speaking] Though it does recall a portion of my life that I would willingly forget, if that were possible. You know both of you already that I am an expiree. Yes, friends, I was sent out to New South Wales forty years ago, a lad of seventeen [indicates a birth year of 1821] and for what, think you? As Heaven is my Judge, the heinous crime for which I, with a young companion and school-fellow was transported, in the company of the most depraved of both sexes, was shooting a hen pheasant, in a school frolic, on the land of Sir James Broughton. ... it is the plain unvarnished truth. ... Yes, my poor mate, George Dartfort, my accomplice in that youthful frolic, got into evil courses out here, as indeed it was natural enough he should do, surrounded as we were by such corrupting influences, and died a felon's death twenty years ago for bushranging after he had got away from that hell upon earth, Cockatoo Island.

[continues]I was not kept long in prison, for I had made up my mind that, come what would, I would regain my freedom as soon as possible by an unbroken course of good conduct, and so it was not long before I was assigned [possibly around 1847] to Mr Hartley Verner [or Vernon], of Gundacool, about forty miles to the north of Sydney and he, seeing I had received a fair education, and was well-conducted and industrious, made me his managing overseer.

The story continues about how bushrangers attacked the property and Bill Warland was whipped about his head, causing him to have 'a fit of some kind' after which he lost the sight of his right eye and the right side of his body was paralysed for several days. Verner/Vernon, who had been shot and almost died, recovered but 'sold his property soon afterwards' and may have returned to England.

So far this story cannot be corroborated against actual events.

From 1830 - Carter family of Dorset

As noted below, William Warland would marry Mary Ann Carter in 1869 in Ipswich.

Mary Ann Carter was the daughter of George Thorn Carter (1806 - ) and Anne Campbell. According to online records (FindMyPast), George and Anne Carter had several children, all born in Sturminster Marshall, Dorset, England.

Mary Ann Carter almost certainly arrived in Australia in 1864. Her brother William Carter had arrived in 1855 and established himself in Brisbane where he married in 1862.

Note that a George Carter (1839, Farnham, Dorset - ), also born to a George Carter (1811, Tarrant Gunville, Dorset - 1881) and Anne Campbell (1812, Edington, Wiltshire - 1894) may be the George Carter, aged 32, who arrived on the Light Brigade on 11 January 1871 along with a Sophia Carter aged 10, Emma Carter aged 26, Henry G M Carter aged 0, Jane Carter aged 23, Arthur J Carter aged 23, James A Carter aged 21, Arthur Carter aged 3.

The Carter family can be seen in the 1841 census in Sturminster Marshall. However, both the George Carter and Ann Carter listed there were born in 1806. Further research into the census records is required.

1855 - William Carter arrives in Australia

A William Carter, aged 23, arrived in Sydney as an assisted passenger on the Wacousta in 1855. Based on his age, this is probably Mary Anne Carter's brother. It appears he travelled to Brisbane before 1862. See below for further details.

1855 - William Warland at Blandford

William Warland appears he went to live with his uncle William Henry Warland at Blandford before 1855 when he is mentioned in a newspaper advertisement in that location. His sister Emma Ann and her husband Alfred Hayles may have come to Australia at the same time, but settled at Uralla, in the same general area. Click the link to read more about Alfred Hayles and his business activities with William Henry Warland, Emma and William's uncle.

After 1859 - William Warland moves to Queensland

It is assumed that William Warland moved away from Blandford after his uncle died in 1859, and appears to have gone to live in the Springdale area of Ipswich, Queensland.

From 1862 - William Carter marries, has children

William Carter (born 1833), the brother of Mary Anne Warland (nee Carter) married Sarah Richardson on 30 October 1862 in Brisbane (QLD BDM Ref 1862/B/379). They had the following children:

Possibly 1864 - arrival of Mary Anne Carter

A Mary A Carter, aged 24, arrived in Brisbane on the ship the 'Light of the Age', on 27 January 1864, but the age is not correct. No other Carters were on board that ship. She was almost certainly met by her brother William Carter on arrival and perhaps lived with him initially.

Thomas Mackay and James Baines of Liverpool ... operated as the famous Black Ball Line of Australian Packets that carried hundreds of thousands of immigrants to Australia between 1852 and 1866. Between 1862-1866 the Light of the Age made several voyages to Australia under the Black Ball Line flag, mainly employed on the London to Queensland run carrying emigrants. During this time unsanitary conditions were reported by health officers and surgeons - who gave evidence of leaks from the galley and water closets constantly wetting some of the steerage berths - and poor ventilation and lighting (Stammers, p. 102, 192). The 'Light of the Age' was wrecked at the entrance to Port Philip Bay, Victoria, in January 1868 (Source for this paragraph - http://www.environment.gov.au/shipwreck/public/wreck/wreck.do?key=6362).

June 1869 - William Warland assigned land

The Queenslander of 12 June 1869 noted that an application by William Warland had been accepted for 18 acres of crown land at Goolman for a homestead.

1869 - William Warland marries Mary Anne Carter

William Warland was a farmer at 'Gammie Swamp' Springdale, Ipwswich in Queensland by 1869. The Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser of 1 April 1869 noted a letter from a farmer at Gammie's Swamp, stating that 'at Springdale (Warland's), there are fourteen acres of cotton, eight of maize and one of sugar, all doing well'.

It seems possible that William Warland met the sister of William Carter, Mary Anne Carter, in Brisbane or Ipswich. William married Mary Anne Carter, the third daughter of George Thorn Carter and Ann Campbell of Sturminster-Marshall, Dorsetshire, on 22 September 1869 in Ipswich, Queensland. (QLD BDM Ref 1869/B/2770; Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser, 28 September 1869.) It seems very likely that Mary Ann's brother William Carter was present at the wedding.

William and Mary Anne Warland had three children:

This family should not be confused with the family of Henry Carroll Warland (1858 - 1937) who had at least two children, Henry Arthur Warland (who drowned on 30 December 1901) and Frederick Samuel Warland.

1870 - William Warland - Peak Mountain Branch

The Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser of 4 August 1870 carried a notice from William Warland, 'Chairman of the Branch', for the monthly meeting of the Peak Mountain Branch at the cotton shed, Springdale (W. Warland's), 'when the attendance of the farmers of the district is requested'.

1871 - William Warland - Magistrate

The Maryborough Chronicle of 27 May 1871 (and several other newspapers) noted that William Warland of Springdale was appointed as a 'magistrate of the territory.' He resided over a number of cases reported in the Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser during the 1870s.

1871 - William Warland advertises

William Warland advertised fairly regularly in the Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser.

The Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser of 10 August 1871 carried a notice from William Warland seeking 'a person with a small capital' to join him in growing twenty acres of sugar at Springdale.

The Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser of 23 November 1871 carried a notice from William Warland, 'Chairman, Springdale' for the brushing, forming and draining of the road at Gammie's Swamp.

1876 - William Warland recorded as a Commissioner of Peace

The 1876 version of Pugh's Almanac records, on page 117, William Warland as a Commissioner of the Peace, living at Springdale in Ipswich. (Source for the Almanacs quoted on this page - https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/)

1876 - Death of Melinda Ann Warland

Melinda Ann Warland died accidentally on 16 September 1876 (QLD BDM Ref 1876/C/2551, which shows her second name as Anna). According to the Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser on Thursday 21 September 1876:

ACCIDENTAL DEATH BY BURNING. On Tuesday last an inquiry was held before Mr. Charles Thorn, J.P., touching the death of Melinda Anne Warland, aged five years and ten months, daughter of Mr. William Warland, J.P., of Springdale, Ipswich Reserve, who met her death in a very melancholy manner, through her clothes accidentally catching fire from a burning stump in her father's cultivation paddock. The following evidence will disclose the facts connected with the sad case: William Warland, the father of deceased, residing at Springdale, Ipswich Reserve, deposed that about noon on Friday last he had been working in the cultivation paddock about a hundred yards from the kitchen of his dwelling-house with an axe, cutting out some roots of trees; saw deceased and a younger brother walking towards him; had been burning stumps on the previous day; told the children to be careful of fire, should there be any there; went to the barn to get a bridle for the purpose of catching a horse; then went into the kitchen, and witness's wife told him dinner was ready; had been away from the paddock for ten minutes only; immediately after heard deceased screaming, and, on opening the bark door of the kitchen, saw the deceased running towards him, her clothes on fire from the back; witness's wife caught the child first, and threw her down; witness assisted to put out the fire, and his wife cut off the clothes; applied floor and oil to the burns on the legs and back; and sent for Dr. Kennedy, who arrived at Springdale shortly after sunset the same evening, and applied remedies; the child was sensible up to Saturday afternoon, when she died. Mary Anne Warland, mother of deceased, gave corroborative evidence. The depositions, with a medical certificate of cause of death, were forwarded to the Colonial Secretary.

Melinda's death was recorded in the same newspaper on 10 October 1876 as follows: 'On the 16th September, at Springdale, Melinda Anne, the dearly beloved daughter of William and M.A. Warland, aged 5 years and 10 months. Deeply regretted and beloved by all who knew her.'

1878 - William Warland advertises

The Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser of 16 April 1878 carried an advertisement for agistment at William Warland's property, 'Purga Creek'.

1878 - Death of Mary Ann Warland

By 1878, Mary Ann Warland was depressed and drowned on Sunday 2 June 1878 (QLD BDM Ref 1878/C/3290, which names her parents as George Campbell Carter and Ann Campbell).

The following article was run by the Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald and General Advertiser on Tuesday 4 June 1878.

MAGISTERIAL INQUIRY. An inquiry touching the death of Mary Ann Warland (wife of Mr. William Warland, J.P., farmer, of Springdale), who was found drowned in a waterhole near her residence on Sunday morning last, was held by Captain Townley, Police Magistrate, yesterday. The following evidence wse adduced: William Warland, a farmer residing at Springdale, deposed that the deceased was his wife; had two children residing with him, the eldest of which was five and a half years old ; the deceased had been suffering from sandy blight and low fever for about a month past, and during the past week she had been in a very desponding state of mind; she could not sleep at night; she received a telegram from some friends in Sydney about her brother having fallen through a hatchway, and receiving severe injuries; this seemed to weigh upon her mind, and caused great depression of spirits on the previous morning witness made some tea and cut some bread and butter for his wife and children, and at about 8 o'clock she came out of her bedroom; she seemed much as usual, and witness noticed nothing peculiar about her ; witness went for some water, and, on returning, missed his wife ; about half-an hour elapsed between the time he went for the water and returned to the house; said to the eldest child, who was on the verandah, "Where is your mother?" He replied, "She told me she was going down to the garden to get schalots," witness went towards the garden could not see her there, but, on looking at a waterhole about thirty yards from the house, saw what appeared to be a dress floating on the surface; witness ran down, jumped into the water - which was about 3ft. deep in the deepest part - and saw his wife floating face downwards in the water; pulled her out, and found that she was quite dead; rubbed the body for some time, and tried to restore respiration, but without effect; then went to Mr. Rogers, a neighbour, who came back with witness, as also did Messrs. Edwards and Morrow; they then brought the deceased into a house on a stretcher; deceased was forty-four years of age, and witness had been married to her for about eight years.

Samuel Davis Edwards, a farmer residing at Fairfeld, Ipswich Reserve, deposed that he had known Mr. Warland and his wife between eight and nine years; had not been at Warland's house for some months; between 8 and 9 o'clock on the previous morning Mr. Rogers came to witness's place and told him that Mrs. Warland had drowned herself, and asked him to go over at once; on going over, witness saw the body of the deceased lying three or four yards from the waterhole, and Mr. Warland sitting beside it she appeared quite dead; her clothes were wet and muddy, and water and froth were coming from her mouth. The inquiry was adjourned for the production of medical testimony as to the cause of death.

The death of his wife Mary left William a widower with two young sons. Did Mary Ann's brother William Carter have a role in looking after the two surviving boys?

1893 - Death of William Warland

William Warland died on 31 October 1893 in Ipswich. (QLD BDM Ref 1893/C/2309, which names his parents as John Warland and Ann Strickland). According to the Brisbane Courier of Thursday 16 November 1893, William - who had senile dementia - was admitted to the Ipswich Hospital on 24 October 1893 at the age of 60 and died there on 31 October 1893. Further research is required to see who was living with William before he went to hospital - e.g., either son Frederick Warland or Alfred Warland.

1894 - Maude Equator Carter marries

Maude Equator Carter, the eldest daughter of William Carter of Boundary Street, West End, married Ernest Ephraim Sneyd, the youngest son of William Hartley Sneyd of Spring Hill, Brisbane on 28 September 1894. (The Brisbane Courier of 6 October 1894). They had the following children as recorded in QLD BDM records:

Maude Equator Sneyd died in Brisbane on 26 August 1925 (QLD BDM Ref 1924/B/43705). The Brisbane Courier of 27 August 1924 included a funeral notice for Maud, noting that it would leave 'her late residence, Edith Street, Wynnum South for Bulbimba Cemetery. Ernest Ephraim Sneyd re-married after the death of Maude, to Mabel Catherine McCaskill on 1 July 1933 (QLD BDM Ref 1933/B/15983).

Late 1890s - William Carter's profession

William Carter may have been involved in the funeral business in the West End of Brisbane. He is noted working for the West End Agency of John Hislop, Undertaker and Embalmer of Woolloongabba, in The Brisbane Courier of 16 September 1895. He was recorded as an insolvent upholsterer and bedding manufacturer in The Telegraph (Brisbane) of 17 February 1897.

1897 - Henry Richardson Carter marries

Henry Richardson Carter, the third son of William Carter of West End, married Annie Heathwood, the eldest daughter of William Heathwood of South Brisbane, on 16 October 1897. Annie Carter died on 30 December 1948 at Brisbane. She was 78. Her death notice in the Courier Mail of 10 January 1949 states that she was the mother of the following children as recorded in QLD BDM records:

Henry Richardson Carter died on 19 August 1960 (QLD BDM Ref 1960/C/3580).

1900 - Death of William Carter in Brisbane

William Carter, born 1833 to George Thorne Carter and Ann Campbell, and Mary Ann Carter's brother, and the late William Warland's brother in law, died in Brisbane in 1900 (QLD BDM Ref 1900/B/429, which lists his parents as shown).

His death notice was carried in The Telegraph (Brisbane) of 28 June 1900 which noted that he died on 24 June 1900 at his residence, Boundary Street, West End 'after a long and painful illness, which was patiently borne'. He was 67. His funeral notice the next day gives no indication of a family, however the members of the Mistletoe Lodge, No 235, UAO Dreida (?) were invited to attend his funeral. He was buried in South Brisbane cemetery.

1911 to 1916 - Arthur Henry Warland

Arthur Henry Warland does not appear to be recorded in any electoral roll.

Arthur Warland is probably the man employed by Mr Russell, the licensee of the Grand Hotel, on the corner of Wharf and March Streets, Maryborough (south of Maryborough, Queensland), who gave evidence into the death of a Phillip Weinheimer, as reported in the Maryborough Chronicle, Wide Bay and Burnett Advertiser of 28 March 1895. Arthur Warland had gone to the room of the deceased to call him for breakfast; when there was no reply he went to the back window and opened it, and found the man dead.

He may be the Arthur Warland fined for using obscene language in the South Brisbane Police Court as reported in The Telegraph (Brisbane) of 28 April 1908. The only other Arthur Warland at the time was Arthur (Art) Irvine Warland, born in 1896.

In 1911, Arthur Warland was admitted probably to the Benevolent Asylum in Dunwich, on Stradbroke Island, Queensland. The Asylum operated at Dunwich from 1865–1946 and served the whole of Queensland as a public institution for the poor and destitute. According to its website 'From the 1880s to 1920s there were rarely more than 20 official staff to 900 to 1,000 inmates'

Arthur Henry Warland died of TB on 28 April 1916 in Brisbane (QLD BDM Ref 1916/B/23463). The Brisbane Courier of 4 May 1916 noted his death at the Benevolent Asylum, aged 41. According to the museum, Arthur Warland was buried in an unmarked grave (cemetery number 341, cemetary marker A).

From 1934 - Frederick William Warland in Rockhampton

Frederick William Warland (born 1873) appears to have gone to live in Keppel Sands, near Rockhampton from around 1934 or earlier. He appears to have had some form of friendship or relationship with Ruth Walsh (nee Eyles).

Ruth Anne Eyles was born to Thomas Eyles and Ruth Elizabeth Tregilgus on 9 March 1873 in country Queensland (QLD BDM Ref 1873/C/3159). Ruth Eyles (nee Tregilgus) died soon after, on 26 March 1873 (QLD BDM Ref 1873/C/1244).

Thomas Eyles, a storekeeper in the Rockhampton area, died intestate on 30 December 1881. The Brisbane Courier of 4 March 1882 reported that his estate would be granted to William Francis Walton, a storekeeper of Rockhampton, the lawfully elected guardian of the following children. This order from the Supreme Court of Queensland was dated 27 February 1882.

Ruth Ann Eyles married Joseph Walsh in country Queensland on 2 January 1896 (QLD BDM Ref 1896/C/1637). They had several children (Source - Queensland BDM records):

A Joseph Walsh of Rockhampton, died aged 65 on 21 April 1906 (Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton, 24 April 1906). If this was Ruth's husband, it means she was left with four young children (and possibly the newly born Ettie Walsh, who then died.

The Brisbane Courier of 29 April 1907 reported that William Francis Walton, of Sydney, claimed the property at Rolleston previously owned by Thomas Eyles, specifically 'Allotments 1 and 2 of section 10 and allotment 2 of section 11, town of Rolleston'. The basis for the claim was 'Letters of Administration', dated 10 June 1907. It is not clear if this meant that Walton took the land from the Eyles children. Walton died aged 91 at his residence 'Vere de Vere', Liverpool Road, Summer Hill, Sydney on 5 January 1922.

From 1921 - Walsh children marry

The children of Joseph and Ruth Ann Walsh began to marry from 1921 (source - QLD BDM):

It is not yet known if or when Edward Walsh (8 February 1900 - 10 June 1968) married as there are multiple men with that name who married.

From 1934 - When did Ruth and William Warland meet?

It is not clear (yet) at what point Ruth Walsh (nee Eyles) came into contact with Frederick William Warland, but it seems it was from before 1934 as his will assigning property to her was signed then.

Frederick William Warland is recorded in the electoral rolls as follows: Capricornia, QLD, from 1915 to 1943; Dawson, QLD, in 1949 (when he died).

Frederick Warland appears to have been a labourer (Source: Funeral notice in the Morning Bulletin 11 January 1950) and lived in the very small village of Keppel Sands on the coast about 15 kms due east of Rockhampton, based on newspaper reports.

1949 - Death of Frederick William Warland

Frederick William Warland (born 1873) died in Keppel Sands, near Rockhampton, on 29 December 1949 (QLD BDM Ref 1950/C/775, which does not list any parents). His funeral notice was carried in the Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton) on 30 December 1949. It stated that Frederick Warland lived at Keppel Sands. He was buried at North Rockhampton Cemetery on 30 December 1949 (Ref A E 46 RC).

The Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton) of 14 March 1950 and The Worker (Brisbane) of 13 March 1950 (page 12) included a notice titled 'Transmission by Death, The Real Property Acts 1861 to 1942' that described where applications had been made for the 'Registration of Transmissions of Title the Lands' from the 'deceased proprietor'. It included the following: '(a) Frederick Warland, late of Keppel Sands, (b) 29th Dec 1949, (c) Ruth Ann Walsh, of North Rockhampton, widow, (d) Resub. 2, sub. 1, resub. 34, sub. 9, por. 2089, parish Meadow Flats. (e) Fee simple. (f) Will dated 20th September, 1934.

1955 - Death of Ruth Anne Walsh

Ruth Anne Walsh, the daughter of Thomas Eyles and Ruth Elizabeth Tregilgas, died in country Queensland on 28 February 1955 (QLD BDM Ref 1955/C/966).

Page created 15 July 2016, updated 9 May 2020 (removed reference to Clarice Warland). Copyright Andrew Warland.