Some of the information below, where noted in the text, is from the City of Burnside's short booklet 'Historic Self-Guided Walk - The Village of Burnside'.
According to England Marriages 1538-1973, James Warland married Frances (Fanny) Childs (1796 - 22 December 1882) on 29 June 1823 at Old Church, Saint Pancras, London. They had four children (English baptism records from www.findmypast.co.uk, England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975):
Note: An Ann Warland, aged 1 and born in 1833, living at John Street, Surrey (Parish Lambeth, St John the Evangelist, Waterloo, Surrey), died in 1834. This is not all that far from St Pancras so it could be the same person. As William had also died, this means that James and Frances Warland had only two children.
On 7 June 1837, James Warland, a 29 year old carpenter living at 34 Compton Street, Brunswick Square, with Frances and children (shown as M5.9/F7 - probably Ellen and Henry), applied for free passage to South Australia (Record 1113).
A bit over a year later, on 11 July 1838, James Warland (now a carpenter and joiner) and his family (listed as children M8.1/F9), then living at 8 Yorke Street, (off?) East Commercial Road, Stepney, along with James' brother George Warland, an unmarried farm servant living at Tollard West, Salisbury, prepared to leave England on the Rajahsthan. Their embarkation record noted that their brother 'W.H. Warland L.H.' was somehow linked with their migration agent, E H Mears.
The Rajasthan departed London on 26 July 1838 with Captain Duncan Ritchie, for Plymouth. On 31 July 1838 she left there bound for South Australia. She arrived in Adelaide on 16 November 1838 with 254 passengers (including 18 cabin, 34 second cabin). The following names were allegedly recorded:
Note: The source of Alice being on the voyage is this website: http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1838Rajasthan.htm. Unfortunately, that list is a compilation of a range of sources, so the actual origin of Alice Warland being on the ship is unknown. The webpage includes the following comment:
No official passenger lists have been found for either voyage and the following lists have come from many different sources, the main one being the Register of Emigrant Labourers applying for a Free Passage to South Australia 1836 - 1841. Searches through the entries of over 2500 applicants during the relevant periods have provided the names of most of the RAJASTHAN's passengers for each voyage others have come from the 1838 Cabin passengers' letter and that of the Steerage and Second Cabin passengers, both of which were published in the "S.A. Gazette and Colonial Register", December 1838. Some have also come from shipping reports published in the "Register" and in the "Southern Australian", from E.A.D. Opie's book "South Australian Records prior to 1841", the Register of Sick and Destitute Relief, Old Colonists' Photographs Pioneers' Register 1877, Biographica Index of S.A., and from descendants. Source: The RAJASTHAN 1838 and 1839-1840 by Helen Scarborough.
At this point there is insufficient primary evidence to prove that Alice Warland was on the ship with the other Warlands.
The journey to Australia must not have been overly pleasant for the steerage passengers. A open letter from passengers to Captain Ritchie, dated 13 September 1838 and published in the South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register of 22 December 1838, states the following: Sir - We the undersigned second cabin and steerage passengers, respectfully intreat that having sufficient water on board to afford each person 2 quarts per day, and all being exceedingly anxious (the season getting late) to arrive at our port of destination as early as possible, you will not retard the voyage by touching any port. We have the honour to remain your most obedient humble servants'. Among other signatories was 'Jas. Warland, wife and 3 children', and 'George Warlan'.
On the other hand, another letter published in the South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register on 15 December 1838, casts a different light: GENTLEMEN, - We, the undersigned, cabin passengers of the Rajasthan on arrival at our destination, have great pleasure in tendering to you our best thanks for the liberal manner in which you provided for our wants during our voyage to South Australia. The ruddy stores and supplies of every kind, as also the wines, were abundantly laid in, and have all proved of the best description and quality; and we consider it but a fair act of justice towards you thus publicly to express our satisfaction and acknowledgments.
As noted on his departure record, James Warland was listed as a carpenter on arrival in South Australia. It seems however that James took up farming after arriving in South Australia.
According to the June 2007 newsletter of the Burnside Historical Society (Vol 27, No 2), which includes a photograph of the ruins of James Warland house :
A near neighbour of the Brewers was James Warland of Wimborne, Burnside. Warland owned 351 acres of land, mostly on the south side of Greenhill road (sections 924, 925, 926, 931 and 1054, the middle portions of Chamber's Gully) and his house (now known as Keir's Cottage and located in present-day Cleland Conservation Park) was opposite the wine shop. Warlands named their property View Point, a name that aptly describes its position. The Council assessment for 1864 describes it thus: 'stone house, 6 rooms, dairy, stable, 2 1/2 acres of garden and orchard, 5 acres arable'. In the early 1870s, Henry L. Roe from Upper Sturt leased Warland's land. In 1874, most of the property was bought by Sir Samuel Davenport of Beaumont. (James Warland died the following year). ... The Warland Estate retained 27 acres; this was the land between the old and the new line of the Greenhill Road. Edmund Wilcox of Uraidla who had married Warland's daughter Elizabeth, leased this land for some years.
Eleven of the 27 acres were sold in 1952 by a member of the Wilcox familiy. Exactly what happened to the remaining 16 acres remains a mystery.
According to the late Eric Warland in the late 1980s, the book 'Toilers of the Hills' by E H Hallack (National Library of Australia link) contained a record of his reports of family stories of the hard work clearing and gardening for miles around the Adelaide Hills area. The book included a report about James Warland with a sketch of his house built in the 1850s on Greenhill Road, now the Cleland wildlife reserve. Eric added that the ruins of James Warland's house were still visible at that time, as noted in the newsletter in 2007.
There is some uncertainty about the children born to James and Frances Warland after their arrival in South Australia. Based on the application to emigrate in 1837 it seems fairly clear that they brought only two children to Australia. James and Fanny Warland were said to have had more children in South Australia:
Photograph above shows James Warland's property built in the 1850s
According to the Burnside pamphlet Historic Walking Trails, the land now known as Burnside (through which James would have travelled to reach Adelaide) was leased by the South Australian Company to Scottish immigrant Peter Anderson in 1839, who named his farm Burnside. In 1848, Anderson assigned the remainder of his lease to William Randall. In 1849, Randall engaged Nathaniel Hailes to lay out a village.
In 1850, James Warland's son, Henry Warland, purchased three large 2.5 acre lots in the new town of Burnside. These were later subdivided into 38 lots - see below.
In January 1854 a major bushfire took hold in the Adelaide Hills according to the South Australian Register of 16 January 1854.
James and Fanny Warland's son Henry Warland married Anne Davis on 19 April 1855. They had nine children, as follows:
Newspaper reports from late 1856 note the commencement of development work on roads and fences. In January 1857 James complained of damage done to a portion of his section 'by the flow of a considerable body of water from the district road, and requested to have its course diverted before the rains again set in', as reported in the Adelaide Observer of 17 January 1857. Developments in the area were noted throughout 1857, including on 'Fenn's Road, opposite Warland's', which no longer exists on the map. The same newspaper of 14 August 1858 noted that reforming and metalling 'near Warland's, Fenn's Road' was to commence in the near future.
James Warland was nominated for election as a councillor for East Torrens, Adelaide, on 4 July 1859, according to the South Australian Advertiser of 12 July 1859. He was unsuccessful.
Emma Elizabeth Wilcox (nee Warland) in 1872. Source - State Library of South Australia website, 'Female Colonists' (Ref B 19985/3D)
Emma Elizabeth Warland married Edmund Willcox ( - 16 August 1895, Uraidla) on 11 December 1860 in Adelaide. Emma and Edmund Willcox lived in the Adelaide Hills town of Uraidla, South Australia, south east of Adelaide, where Edmund was the builder and publican of the Uraidla Hotel, also known as Willcox's Hotel. They had 7 children (information kindly provided by Linda Willcox, a descendent of this family, in April 2017).
Henry Warland was recorded as a farmer and innkeeper at Burnside in South Australia. According to an article in the Adelaide Observer of 20 May 1893 concerning the Second Creek just north of where James and Henry lived, on the southern slopes of the creek, stated that it was formerly known as Clifton or 'Warland's Bottom' - and was then known as Siamey's, Knuckey's or Slape's Gully from the names of the latter day residents there.
In March 1861 Henry Warland applied to the Council for a licence to slaughter cattle on his allotment at Burnside, according to the South Australian Register of 20 March 1861. The licence was granted on 8 April 1861.
According to the Burnside pamphlet, Historic Walking Trails, the original Burnside Inn was built for Mrs Francis Clark and sons in 1863.
James Warland is mentioned various times in the 1860s and 1870s in relation to the development of land around his property.
According to The Adelaide Express of 11 September 1865, Henry Warland applied for a license to run the Burnside Inn on the corner of High Street and Lockwood Road, Burnside, in September 1865; his application was refused but he was granted the liberty to apply in the next quarter, which he did. He was granted the licence in December 1865, as noted in The Adelaide Express of 11 December 1865. The Historic Walking Trail document notes that Henry Warland purchased the hotel. He also ran a blacksmith shop and had a passenger and mail coach service that traveled from Burnside to Adelaide City - see photograph below. The pamphlet notes also that the Inn was '... an important venue for election meetings and community gatherings' and was demolished in the 1920s.
Henry was not the only Warland to run a hotel in South Australia. According to the Express and Telegraph of 12 March 1867, the following Warlands (all uncles or cousins) were granted licences, in addition to Henry: William Warland (Wheatsheaf Inn, Echunga), Henry Warland (Victoria Hotel, Strathalbyn), James Warland (Hagen Arms, Echunga).
In 1870, James Warland, now a retired farmer, built a property he named 'Bradford' at 57 High Street, Burnside. The present Bradford Street was named after that land was subdivided in 1966. The area now known as Warland Reserve at 1 Kings Avenue, Burnside, South Australia, as shown on the map below was thought to be named after James Warland; Eric Warland stated that James' house was 'on the land at the back' of Henry's house on Wyatt Road. As High Street is a block or so away it would seem more likely that Warland Reserve was named after Henry Warland.
Anne Warland's father, Samuel Davis, of Glynde, died at Henry and Anne Warland's house on 16 January 1872, as reported in The South Australian Advertiser of 30 January 1872.
James Warland and family were photographed in 1872; James was photographed at the Old Colonists Banquet Group, while his wife Fanny and chidren appear to have been photographed as part of a set relating to South Australian colonists.
James Warland in 1872. Source - State Library of South Australia website (Ref B 47769/19R)
Fanny Warland in 1872. Source - State Library of South Australia website, 'Female Colonists' (Ref B 19985/2O)
Ellen Warland in 1872. Source - State Library of South Australia website, 'Female Colonists' (Ref B19985/3F)
James Warland died on 1 November 1875 at his residence. His death was reported in The South Australian Advertiser of 2 November 1875.
The photograph below shows Henry Warland and family outside the Burnside Inn in 1875, with the following individuals (left to right): 1 - Ned Waterhouse, 2 - ?, 3 - John Waterhouse, 4, 5 - ?, 6 - Henry Warland, 7 - William ?, , 8 - Lucy, 9 - Florrie, 10 - Bessie?, 11 - Sarah (grandma, seated, with child on knee), 12, 13 ?, 14 visitors.
Source - State Library of South Australia (Ref B 36707)
According to the Burnside pamphlet, Historic Walking Trails, Henry Warland subdivided his three original lots in Burnside into 38 lots in 1877. The pamphlet noted that these lots faced Glynburn (then Burnside) Road, High, Gartrell (then William) and John Streets. William and John Streets were named after Henry's sons.
On 23 April 1879, The Express and Telegraph (Adelaide) noted that Henry Warland had charged several men with (a) maliciously breaking a jug, tumbler and match and and (b) disturbing the peace and good order of the Burnside Inn by insulting behaviour.
By March 1880, an 'omnibus' was running between Henry Warland's hotel in Burnside and the Kensington tramcar terminus, as reported in The Express and Telegraph of 22 March 1880.
Alice Warland in 1872. Source - State Library of South Australia website, 'Female Colonists' (Ref B 19985/3F)
James and Fanny Warland's daughter, named as 'Alice Maria Warland', married Robert Jones of Young Street, Parkside, on 19 May 1880 at her mother's home in Burnside, as reported in the South Australian Register of 27 May 1880. Robert Jones is believed to be the same person as 'Charles Robert Jones' of Penfield who applied to establish a new hotel on the junction of Knightsbridge and Burnside Road, in December 1883, as noted below. Robert may have been married before - according to the State Library of South Australia, 'Robert Jones of Young Street Parkside announced the death of his wife Fanny, aged 48, 24 September 1878. While Robert's father was also named Robert Jones, Robert, Fanny and Alice are all the same generation, born the early-mid 1830s'.
Henry ran Burnside Inn, known as Warland's Hotel, Burnside, until August 1882 when it was sold, as reported in the South Australian Register of 29 August 1882 and other newspapers.
Henry's mother, Fanny Warland, died on 22 December 1882 (SA BDM Ref 124/350).
Henry Warland is probably the person of that name, of Burnside, a farmer, who deposited plans for the construction of a hotel 'in Onkaparinga [sic] on Government road from Adelaide to Balhannah', as reported in the Adelaide Observer of 22 December 1883.
The Adelaide Observer included the following advertisement, which is believed to relate to Robert Jones who married Alice Warland.
I CHARLES ROBERT JONES, of Penfield, Licensed Victualler, hereby give notice, pursuant to Section 28 of the Licensed Victuallers Act 1880, that I have this day deposited with the Clerk of the Adelaide Licensing Bench plans of an hotel proposed to be erected on Block 4, Township of Knightsbridge, at the junction of Knightsbridge and Burnside Roads, to be called 'The Knightsbridge Hotel', for which I intend in due course to apply for a Publican's Licence. Dated this 11th day of December 1883. Charles Robert Jones.
Henry Warland died on 25 June 1887 at his residence named Wimborne Villa. His death notice in the Evening Journal of 27 June 1887 noted that Henry had died after a long and painful illness.
On 1 January 1889, Sarah Ellen Warland, Henry and Anne's third daughter, died aged 26, also after a long and painful illness, as reported in the South Australian Register of 2 January 1889.
South Australia was subject an economic depression in the 1890s.
Henry and Anne Warland's daughter Fanny Warland married Moses Littlefield 'late of Northern Territory' on 18 December 1889 at St George's Church, Woodfords. (SA BDM Ref 161/1128, also South Australian Register, 18 January 1890). See also below.
Henry and Anne Warland's son James Samuel Warland married Mary Jane Pickford (1858 - 6 February 1937) in 1892 in Mundulla (no BDM Reference found). Henry Warland was recorded as a farmer in the Mundulla area of South Australia, in the same vicinity as his second cousins with the surname Taylor from the daughter (Mary Ann) of his grandfather James' brother Henry Warland (who also died in 1892). James and Mary Warland had two children:
Henry and Anne Warland's daughter Jane Warland married Henry Edwards of Norwood at Holy Trinity Church in Norwood on 14 January 1893 (South Australian Register, 2 March 1893). See also below.
On 16 August 1895, Edmund Willcox, the husband of Emma Elizabeth Willcox (nee Warland), died at Uraidla.
The Express and Telegraph of 30 May 1899 (repeated in the Chronicle and Adelaide Observer of 3 June 1899, South Australian Register of 7 June 1899) recorded the death of Robert Jones, who died on 29 May 1899 aged 66, at his residence 'Sea View', Burnside, 'the dearly beloved husband of Alice Jones. The SA BDM Record for this death is 261/375.
Ellen Warland, the unmarried daughter of James and Fanny Warland, died on 7 February 1906 at her residence, Sunnyside, Burnside. (The Register (Adelaide) 8 February 1906). She was buried with her parents, James and Fanny Warland.
Henry and Anne Warland's son John Warland died on 22 March 1907. He never married. The Advertiser (Adelaide) of 23 March 1907 noted that John was found dead at the bottom of Freeman's quarry, on the Waterfall Gully Road, the day before. It noted that 'it was supposed that the deceased fell from the top of the quarry, a distance of about 40ft'. At the inquest, reported the Chronicle of 30 March 1907, it was noted that John's brother William Warland identified the body. It also noted that, according to several witnesses, 'the deceased had for years been subject to fits, and had had a severe attack the previous week'. He was last seen at work at 2.30 PM and the body was discovered two hours later; several ribs and his spine were broken, but his brain was 'healthy, and there was no trace of a fracture'. John's death notice was recorded in the Chronicle (Adelaide) for 6 April 1907 notes that John was 'the eldest and dearly beloved son of the late Henry Warland, Wimborne, Burnside' accidentally killed on 22 March 1907.
Henry Warland's wife, Anne Warland (nee Davis) died on 22 March 1908. Her death notice in the Observer (Adelaide) of 28 March 1908, stated that Anne was:
'... an old identity of the Burnside district, (who) died on Sunday. While yet in her teens Mrs Warland arrived in South Australia, and settled in the Burnside district, where she continued to reside until her death. Her husband became identified with the Burnside Hotel, which under his management assumed the character of quite an old-world hostelry. From her quiet home at the foot of the hills Mrs. Warland watched the magic growth of the modern city on the plains, and, being possessed of wonderful eyesight, took a delight in pointing out to younger eyes the various places of interest. She could recall the time when the noxious stinkwort first made its appearance in the paddock of the settlers, who went to great pains to protect it from cattle and to otherwise encourage its growth. For many, years Mrs. Warland was crippled with rheumatism, but her disposition remained bright and cheerful through all her suffering. Her many charities and sterling character earned for her the respect and appreciation of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.'
The Adelaide Quiz of 3 April 1908 provided more details about Anne Warland's life:
The latter half of her long life (she was 74) was one continuous story of pain. For over thirty years she was crippled with rheumatism, which undermined her health in such a way that it brought on one painful malady after another. She was bright and cheerful through it all, managing her affairs, bringing up a large family, and doing acts of charity and kindness innumerable. Mrs Warland was a daughter of the late Samuel Davis, an early settler at the Glynde, who arrived in the William Stuart about sixty years ago. In 1885 she married Henry Warland, who for many years conducted the Burnside Hotel, which was in those days a country house of wide reputation. After her husband's death Mrs Warland removed to Wimborne, a quiet home overlooking the plains. Of simple life, simple tastes, and simple faith she commanded the respect and love of all who knew her. For over half a century her quiet influence was felt in the district, which now realizes that it has lost one who attained the achievement of making the world a little better for having lived in it. Two sons and five daughters survive her.
Following the death of his mother, William Warland put his parent's property up for sale. It was described as a house with 8 rooms on 37 1/2 acres, with all conveniences which would suit a retired farmer, near trams. (The Express and Telegraph, 19 November 1908). It not have sold - The Register of 28 December 1911 noted that a modern, eight roomed villa with all conveniences, commanding 'lovely views of Gulf' was available for lease - 'apply Miss Warland, Burnside'.
On 23 July 1909, Henry and Anne Warland's youngest daughter, Florence Warland, aged 38, married Arthur Frederick Coulls of Yallingup, Western Australia, at St David's, Burnside.
Henry and Anne Warland's son James Samuel Warland died in April 1910. The Border Chronicle of 29 April 1910 reported the death as follows:
Death of Mr Jas. Warland. It is with sorrow we report the death of Mr James Warland, in the Adelaide hospital. As is well-known, Mr Warland, about a week ago, was found in an unconscious state in a lane adjoining the Plough and Harrow hotel, Adelaide. Inquiry led to the knowledge that he was staying at the hotel, and must have fallen from his bedroom window, -two stories high, in to the lane below. He was conveyed to the hospital, where he lay in an unconscious state till death, which took place on Monday. The matter was reported to the coroner, who deemed an inquest necessary. The remains were interred in the Magill cemetery on Wednesday, the cortege leaving his brother's residence at Burnside. Mr Warland, who was 45 years of age, leaves a wife and two children. He was a popular man in the Mundalla district where he resided.
The Evening Journal (Adelaide) of 1 September 1910 noted that Jane Edwards, the beloved wife of H Edwards, died at her brother, W Warland's residence, John Street, Burnside, on 1 September 1910.
As noted above, Henry and Anne Warland's daughter Fanny Warland married Moses Littlefield on 18 December 1889. The Advertiser of 31 October 1911 notes that the remains of the late 'Mrs Fanny Hanns' would be removed from the residence of her brother, Mr W Warland, at John Street, Burnside, on 31 October 1911 for interment'.
It is believed, based on the evidence, that William Walter Warland (1860 - 1937), the son of Henry and Anne Warland, and likely his siblings, knew of their second cousins from George Warland's daughter Mary Ann Warland who married Edwin Taylor. They would also have known that these second cousins were left orphaned when their father died at Wellington in 1892. It is believed that the children of Edwin and Mary Taylor lived with the Barratt relatives including at Pooginagoric near Bordertown. At some point, it seems possible that William Walter Warland was visiting his brother James Samuel Warland who Mary Jane Pickford who lived in nearby Mundulla, and possibly also as a result attended the marriage of his second cousin Rose Maple Taylor who married Ernest Barratt in 1901, and had ongoing contact. In any case, in 1913, William Walter Warland married Ernest Barratt's sister, Fanny Ethel Barratt (8 March 1876 - 1967) at Wellington (SA BDM Ref 256/19).
Walter and Fanny Warland had two children:
Lucy Warland, the daughter of Henry and Anne Warland, married John Thomson, second son of the late John Thomson, Maryborough, Queensland, at St David's Church, Burnside, on 4 September 1913.
Alice Jones (nee Warland died in 1914 (SA BDM Ref 387/194. Her death was recorded in The Register and The Advertiser on 22 September 1914 (also the Observer and Chronicle on 26 September 1914): 'On the 20th September, at her residence, Greenhill Road, Burnside, Alice, relict of late Robert Jones, aged 71 years'. This puts her birth year as 1843, which suggests (if true) that she was not on the Rajasthan. The Journal of 21 September recorded that she was buried at West Terrace Cemetery.
The following are extracts from the digitised service record on the National Archives of Australia website (www.naa.gov.au), as well as information from Linda Willcox.
Arthur Ernest Wilcox
Three of James and Matilda Willcox's sons served in World War One. Their son, Arthur Ernest Wilcox (born 1 January 1892, Exeter, Port Adelaide), a clerk of Harris Street, Exeter, enlisted in the AIF on 26 November 1914. He proceeded overseas to Gallipoli where he arrived on 9 May 1915. On 6 October he was wounded slightly and initially remained with his Regiment on Destroyer Hill. However, he fell sick with 'GSA head and jaundice' and was evacuated a few days later via the Valdivia from Anzac Beach to the 3rd Auxiliary Convalescent Hospital in Heliopolis. He was discharged on 15 January 1916 and taken back on strength with the 1st LHTR as a temporary/acting Sergeant at Tel el Kebir, Egypt. On 14 September 1916 he was embedded with the 43rd Infantry Battalion (again as a Private) at Alexandria whence he travelled to England. On 25 November 1916 he proceeded with the Battalion to France where he was appointed Lance Corporal. He was killed in action 'in the field, France', on 19 February 1917. Arthur Wilcox is buried in Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, France.
David William Willcox
William and Martha Willcox's son, David William Willcox (born 5 October in Uraidla, South Australia), a gardener, enlisted in the AIF on 12 October 1916. He was initially assigned to the 9/5th Pioneers and departed Adelaide on the Seang Bee for Europe (via Devonport) on 10 February 1917. He was marched in to the 7th Training Battalion in Rollestone, England, on 9 September 1917. He proceeded overseas to The Havre with the 7th Training Bn on 24 September and was taken on strength with the 27th Battalion on 13 October 1917 in Belgium. David was wounded in action on 9 October 1917, was admitted to the 17th Casualty Clearing Station in Belgium the following day, but died of his wounds on 11 October 1917. David Willcox was buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium.
Page created 15 September 2011, updated 21 April 2020. Copyright Andrew Warland.