Warlands from Rogaland, Norway
The Warland name appears to have developed in Norway from the early 1700s. It is unrelated to the English name.
The following information about the Warlands of Norway comes from the following sources: (a) Finn Warland in Chicago, United States, (b) Morten Warland in Stavanger, Norway, (b) information obtained from the
online Ellis Island, New York, United States arrivals register, (d) www.geni.com and (e) general research.
The Warland name in Norway is believed to be derived from the name of a location called Varlandsli (also called Vardland), meaning 'lands of cairns' (cairn in Norwegian is 'varde'), a small place in Strand near Stavanger (between Tau and Fiskå/Fiskaa. There are currently two places near Stavanger that still carry the Varland/Vardland name. One is in the township of Strand, the other in Finnøy (Fogn).
Origin of the name - Vatland, Varlandsi, Varland, Warland - Rogaland, Norway
Most Warlands in Norway appear to live in the Rogaland area - Tau and Stavanger in particular. According to Morten Warland in Stavanger, his great great grandfather’s name was originally Svendsen (Ananias Svendsen Tau Brug); we can see however from the details above that the name first appears to be Vatland then Varlandsi. While it was not uncommon practice for Norwegians to take on the name of their town as their surname, there is no actual town or village called Varland or Varlandsi.
The Geni website contains (across a number of pages maintained by different people) details of members of the family which ultimately became Warland.
Ådne Ådneram (abt 1580, Sirdal, Norway - ) had at least one son, Knut Åneson Ådneram i Sirdal (1604, Ådneram - ).
Knut Åneson Ådneram married and had a son, Ånen Knutson Ådneram (abt 1634 - ). Ånen Knutson Ådneram married Helga Eilevsdatter Lyse and they had several children:
- Marta Ånensdatter Ådneram
- Isak Ånonson Ådneram
- Ole Ånensen Ådneram (abt 1682, Ådneram, Sirdal, Vest-Agder - abt 1747). See below for more information.
- Kristoffer Ånensen Ådneram
- Erik Ådneram
- Helga Ånensdatter Ådneram
Ole Ånensen Ådneram married Gjertrud Olsdotter Ådneram and they had several children (note the appearance of 'Vatland'):
- Ånen Olsen Vatland (Ådneram)(1706, Ådneram, Sirdal, Vest-Agder - ). See below for more information.
- Adlaug Olsdotter Ådneram
- Knut Olsen Ådneram
- Ole Olsen Knabeneset
- Signe Olsdotter Ådneram
- Tormod Olsen Ådneram
- Helga Olsdotter Ådneram
Ånen Olsen Vatland (Ådneram) married Guro Knutsdatter and they had three children:
- Knut Ånensen Vatland (1752, Forsand, Rogaland, Norway - 11 June 1819). See below for more information.
- Ole Ånensen
- Helga Ånensdatter
Knut Ånensen Vatland married Anna Martina Reiersdotter Tauravågen and then Ingelev Danielsdotter Vatland. Two children were born (it is not clear from which mother)
- Ådne (Ånon) Knutsen Varlandsli (1791, Vatland, Strand, Ryfylke, Rogaland, Norway - 30 November 1869, Varlandsii, 4120 Tau, Ryfylke, Rogaland). See below.
- Nils Knutsen
Ådne (Ånon) Knutsen Varlandsli (Vatland) married Eli Karine (Elen) Svendsdotter Varlandsli and they had several children:
- Marta Ådnesdotter Kvalhaug
- Marta Aanensdtr
- Svend Ådnesen Varlandsli (18 December 1818 - 26 August 1860). See below.
- Berta Varlandsli
- Berta Ådnesdatter
- Berta Ådnesdotter Varlandsli
- Knut Ådnesen Holta
- Birthe Serina Aanensdtr
Svend Ådnesen Varlandsli married Helga Johannesdatter Helle and they had several children:
- Marta Svensen Sørskår
- Elen Johanne Svendsdatter Veland
- Ananias Svendsen Tau Brug (Varlandsii)(20 April 1846, Varland - 9 November 1930, Hillevåg, Stavanger, Rogaland). See below.
- Jonas Svensen Varland (3 February 1849, Varland - 9 April 1939, United States). See below.
- Tomas Svensen Varland
Ananias Svendsen Tau Brug married three times: Anne Helene Thorsdotter Øvre Bjørheim; Gurine Nilsdotter Nielsdatter; and Klausine Klausdotter Tau Brug. From these marriages many children were born, some of whom migrated to the United States. It is not known if these children are listed chronologically.
- Anne Helene Varland (24 May 1868, Strand, Rogaland, Norway - 19 February 1931, Badger, Iowa, USA). Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Sven Annaniasen Varland (10 December 1870, Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway - May 1914, USA). Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Nikoline (Lena) Annaniasen Varland (4 January 1874, Avaldsnes, Rogaland, Norway - 23 May 1904, Amstrong, Iowa, USA). Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Niels Annaniasen Varland. Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Ole Gabriel Gabriel Annaniassen Varland (11 February 1880, Tau, Rogaland - 1883, Tau, Rogaland)
- Bertel Annaniassen Varland (11 April 1882, Tau, Rogaland, Norway - 3 July 1955, Fort Dodge, Webster, Iowa, USA). Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Olava Warland (3 February 1884, Tau, Rogaland, Norway - 4 October 1979, Fort Dodge, Iowa, USA). Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Ane (Minnie) Thomine Akre-Harlow (29 June 1887, Norway - September 1973). Married twice: Salomom Akre; Raymond Harlow. Children: Gunda Marie Akre (married Runnerstrom); Sigvard Akre.
- Gustav Adolf Annaniassen Varland (21 January 1875, Tau, Rogaland, Norway - 6 May 1967, Barron, Wisconsin, USA). Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Sam Warland (3 February 1891 - 1 April 1975, Jewell, Iowa, US)(Sam and others born after him are half-siblings). Migrated to the United States - see below for link to further information.
- Hannah Gurina Hansen
- Klaus Warland
- (4 unnamed)
- Nikoline Warland (this may be the same person as the Nikoline above)
- (2 unnamed)
- Sverre Annaniassen Varland (possibly the same person as Sven born 1870)
According to Morten Warland (who lives in Stavanger, Norway), the great great grandson of Ananias Svendsen, ten of Ananias Svendsen's children emigrated from Norway to the US (as noted above). Most settled in the Midwest (Iowa mostly) and kept the Warland name, but some took back the Svendsen name.
Jonas Svensen Varland (3 February 1849, Varland - 9 April 1939, US), the brother of Ananias Svendsen Tau Brug (above), married Gunhild Svensen Varland. They had the following children. It is not yet known when they migrated to the United States:
- Svensen Varland
- Gerhard Johan Svensen Varland
- Thomas Warland
- Anne Serine Svensen Varland
- Isabelle Warland
1884 - Varland/Warland from Strand, Rogaland
Nicolay Varland/Warland (aka Knutsen)(12 December 1858, Ardal, Rogaland - 29 July 1938) and Ellen Thomine (Idsøe) married and had the following children from 1885 (Source: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Varland-8):
- Ingeborg Marie (Varland) (1885 - 1961). Married Rasch.
- Inger Theodora Varland
- Nille Elisa Varland
- Knut Varland/Warland. Knut and his brother Thore migrated to America in the 1920s.
- Thore Varland/Warland
- Johanne Varland (married Malene) Østensen
- Ragnhild Varland/Warland
- Tormona Bothne (Varland) Bechholm
- John Varland/Warland
- Henny Kristine (Varland) Mossige
- Astrid Ella (Varland) Gudim
For information about the migration of Warlands from Stavanger to the United States, see
Many Warlands still live around the Stavanger area.
Page created 2004, last updated 28 October 2018. Copyright 1985 - 2019, Andrew Warland.