- New Zealand Warland/Gray family
Warlands in New Zealand - Mary Ann Warland
Some of the information below was provided by Nancy Gray, a descendent of Mary Ann Warland, in New Zealand.
Mary Ann Warland (1812 - 1847) was the daughter of John Warland (1785 - ) and Ann Stiles (1783 - ) who lived around Wimborne Minister in Dorset. Mary's siblings (and Mary) are listed below. Note that two of her siblings migrated to Australia.
- Charles Warland (18 May 1808 in Wimborne Minster, Dorset, UK - 17 March 1855 in Hoxton, Middlesex). See link above for further information.
- Eliza Warland (11 March 1810 - 1873, St George Sydney, Australia (NSW BDM 2705/1873). Click on link for more information.
- Mary Ann Warland (2 or 15 March 1812 - 1847).
- Edward Warland (19 February 1815 in Wimborne Minster, UK - 1855 (or 1885?)). Edward Warland appears to have moved to the London area where he married Mary Cutler (6 March 1817 in Holborn, London, UK - ?) in 1848 at St. Pancras. They had two children born in Hoxton: Alfred Warland (1849 - 1922)(linked with the Warland family in Canada, and Sarah Ann Warland (1856 - 1927, who emigrated to South Africa).
- Henry Warland (19 November 1817 in UK - 26 January 1878 in Melbourne). Click on link for further details.
- Jane Warland (24 October 1821 - ?). See link above for further information.
- Emily Warland (baptised 29 December 1824 at Wimborne Minster - ?). No other details are known.
By 1839 - Mary Ann Warland marries John Fisher
Mary Ann Warland married John Fisher (21 September 1812, London - 1843) in England. They had two children:
- Ann Sophia Fisher (19 December 1839, London - 17 May 1907, Ashburton, New Zealand). Ann Sophia Fisher may be the girl of that name baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Middlesex, London, in 1839, suggesting that Mary Ann Warland married John Fisher in London.
- Mary Garwood Fisher (1843 - ?). Mary Fisher was also baptised at St Martin-In-The-Fields. No other details (marriage, death) are yet known.
John Fisher died in 1843 (possibly recorded at St Martin-In-The-Fields). Mary Ann Fisher then married William Nunn; this could be the William Nunn and Mary Ann Fisher whose marriage was recorded at St Martin-In-The-Fields in 1843. Mary Ann Nunn (nee Warland, previously Fisher) died in 1847; this is probably the Mary Ann Nunn born 1812 whose death is recorded at St Martin-In-The-Fields in 1847.
Perhaps William Nunn was unable to care for his step-children and her uncle Edward offered to help. It is understood that Ann and Mary's uncle Edward Warland cared for the two children after the death of both parents, as recorded in the 1851 census records.
When did Ann Sophia Fisher arrive in New Zealand?
One story notes that Ann Sophia Fisher travelled to New Zealand at the age of 12 as a nurse maid for a wealthy family (information from Joy Wilson, from Nancy Gray), possibly Dr Baker or Mr Godley. Interestingly, John Robert Godley, a wealthy person, named his first home in New Zealand 'Stickland', which may be a reference to the Stickland family that is linked with the Warland family from Dorset.
Another story states that Ann Fisher may have arrived on the same ship as a Dr Baker, a doctor and photographer, arrived in 1851 on the Charlotte Jane. The problem with this story is that Ann Sophia was recorded at her uncle Edward's house in the 1851 UK census; the census was taken after the Charlotte Jane left England. There were, however, other people on the ship with the surname of Fisher and these may be related or be a coincidence.
Either way, Ann Sophia Fisher was in New Zealand before June 1861.
1861 - Ann Sophia Fisher marries
Ann Sophia met William Gray (2 April 1831, Willoughby-with-Sloothby, Lincolnshire, - 1917), the eldest son of William Teesdale Gray and Eliza Hodgson who married in Huttoft, Lincolnshire on 24 September 1828. (Source
https://www.genealogy.com/forum/regional/countries/topics/englandcountry/123097/ which includes a listing of William's siblings)
Ann Sophia Fisher and William Gray married at the home of Mr Smithson in Christchurch, New Zealand, on 13 June 1861 (NZ BDM Ref 1861/3217). The identity of Mr Smithson is not yet known.
Ann Sophia and William Gray had eleven children, all born in the Canterbury District of New Zealand:
- William Alfred Gray (1862 (NZ BDM Ref 1862/11894) - 1941). Possibly named for Ann's cousin Alfred Warland (1849 - ?). Married Helen Hopwood (1865 - 1926) - see below.
- John Warland Gray (1864 (NZ BDM Ref 1864/13474) - 1867, Leeston, Canterbury)
- Joseph Teesdale Gray (1866 (no NZ BDM record) - 1866, Leeston, Canterbury (NZ BDM Ref 1866/7264 aged 7 months, surname Grey))
- Sarah Ann Elizabeth ('Lizzie') Gray (1867 - 1956), married Andrew Ross (1851 - 1935) - see below.
- Edward Arthur Gray (1868/9 (NZ BDM Ref 1869/38879) - 1951), married Maria Thomasina Harland (1867 - 1939) - see below.
- Harry Frank Gray (1870/1 (NZ BDM Ref 1871/29105) - 1870, Leeston, Canterbury)
- Samuel Teasdall/Teasdale Gray (1872 (NZ BDM Ref 1872/29656) - 1941)
- Francis (Frank) Baldock Gray (1874 (NZ BDM Ref 1874/46582) - 1961), married Jane Cecilia Burke (1875 - 1960) - see below.
- Ada Gray (1876 (NZ BDM Ref 1876/13686) - 1901)
- William Ernest Gray (1878 (NZ BDM Ref 1878/11300) - 1955), married Grace Ellen Wellington (1901 - 1992) - see below.
- Mary Maude Gray (1880 (NZ BDM Ref 1880/6561) - 1960), married John Edward Moore (1869 - ?) - see below.
Another William and Ann Gray
The following children were born to a William and Ann Gray who should not be confused with William and Ann Sophia Gray:
- Catherine Stuart Twedie Gray (1880 (NZ BDM Ref 1880/18591) - )
- William Gray (1884 (NZ BDM Ref 1884/1724) - )
1888 - Marriage of Sarah Ann Elizabeth Gray
Sarah Ann Elizabeth Gray (1867 - 1956), recorded in BDM records as Elizabeth Sarah Ann or 'Lizzie', married Andrew Ross (1851 - 1935) in 1888 (NZ BDM Ref 1888/1654).
Note, another Andrew Ross married a Sarah Montgomery in 1888 (NZ BDM Ref 1888/1160). Their children are listed with Sarah's name only.
Andrew and Elizabeth Sarah Ann Ross had the following children:
- Margaret Ross (1889 (NZ BDM Ref 1889/10107) - )
- Wallace Alexander Ross (1891 (NZ BDM Ref 1891/17292) - ). Possibly married Grace Marsh in 1916 (NZ BDM Ref 1916/2742)
- Samuel Alfred Ross (1893 (NZ BDM Ref 1893/17555) - )
- William Andrew Ross (1897 (NZ BDM Ref 1897/6383) - ). Possibly married Hilda Katherine Schreiber in 1932 (NZ BDM Ref 1932/7298)
Elizabeth Sarah Ross was the great-grandmother of Joy Wilson.
1891 - Marriage of William Alfred Gray
William Alfred Gray (1862 - 1941) married Helen Hopwood (1865 - 1926) in 1891 (NZ BDM Ref 1891/861). They had the following children:
- Alfred Meredith Gray (1892 (NZ BDM Ref 1892/14068) - ). Married Ellen Farrell in 1924 (NZ BDM Ref 1924/7270)
- Ada Helen Mercier Gray (1903 (NZ BDM Ref 1903/14829) - )
- Eric Royden Gray (1905 (NZ BDM Ref 1905/4369) - ). Married Lilian Edith Goodhue in 1928 (NZ BDM Ref 1928/8275)
- Alfreda Marjorie Gray (1909 (NZ BDM Ref 1909/3642) - )
1892 - Marriage of Edward Arthur Gray
Edward Arthur Gray (1868/9 - 1951), married Maria Thomasina Harland (1867 - 1939) in 1892 (NZ BDM Ref 2221). They had the following children:
- Jane Anne Gray (1893 (NZ BDM Ref 1893/7201) - )
- William Edward Gray (1894 (NZ BDM Ref 1894/5235) - ). Married Linda Barclay Blair in 1937 (NZ BDM Ref 1937/12609)
- Frank Gray (1895 (NZ BDM Ref 1895/11248) - )
- Samuel Percy Gray (1897 (NZ BDM Ref 1897/15212) - )
- Alfred Dougall Gray (1899 (NZ BDM Ref 1899/332) - )
- Andrew Thomas Gray (1900 (NZ BDM Ref 1900/2773) - )
- Joseph George Gray (1901 (NZ BDM Ref 1901/12036) - ). Married Constance Evelyn Muir in 1933 (NZ BDM Ref 1933/7265)
- Ada Gray (1904 (NZ BDM Ref 1904/852) - )
- Malcolm Gray (1905 (NZ BDM Ref 1905/19450) - )
- Elizabeth Maud Gray (1908 (NZ BDM Ref 1908/22773) - )
- Regina Mary Gray (1911 (NZ BDM Ref 1911/8750) - )
Edward Arthur Gray was the grandfather of Nancy Gray.
1897 - Marriage of Frank Baldock Gray
Frank Baldock Gray (1874 - 1961), married Jane Cecilia/Celia Burke (1875 - 1960) in 1897 (NZ BDM Ref 1897/575). They had the following children:
- Cyril Baldock Gray (1897 (NZ BDM Ref 1897/9537, mother's name Jane Celia) - ). Married Eunice Edna/Edma Symons in 1927 (NZ BDM Ref 1927/10607).
- Ivan Andrew Gray (1900 (NZ BDM Ref 1900/12547) - )
- Allan Francis Gray (1903 (NZ BDM Ref 1903/14533) - ). Married Hazel Ernestine McEwen in 1923 (NZ BDM Ref 1923/2389).
- Irene Maud Gray (1904 (NZ BDM Ref 1904/20458, mother's name Jane Cecila) - ). Married Frederick William Lusty in 1927 (NZ BDM Ref 1927/9541).
- Gladys Ada Gray (1906 (NZ BDM Ref 1906/23563) - ). Married Albert Franklyn Williams in 1934 (NZ BDM Ref 1934/8516).
- Athol William Gray (1909 (NZ BDM Ref 1909/19483) - ). Married Eileen Joan Sutherland in 1936 (NZ BDM Ref 1936/9240).
- Edna Cecilia Gray (1913 (NZ BDM Ref 15173, father's name Francis Baldoch) - ). Married Charles Thomas Edmund McCord in 1933 (NZ BDM Ref 1933/3462).
- Vivian Norman Gray (1916 (NZ BDM Ref 1916/14276) - )
1907 - Death of Ann Sophia Gray (nee Fisher)
Ann Sophia Gray (nee Fisher) died on 17 May 1907 at Ashburton, New Zealand.
1912 - Marriage of Mary Maude Gray
Mary Maude Gray (1880 (NZ BDM Ref 1880/6561) - 1960), married John Edward Moore (1869 - ?) in 1912 (NZ BDM Ref 1912/5115). They had the following child (perhaps more after 1918 but not yet accessible):
- Kathleen Annie Moore (1917 (NZ BDM Ref 1917/5120) - )
1931 - Marriage of William Ernest Gray
William Ernest Gray (1878 - 1955), married Grace Ellen Wellington (1901 - 1992) in 1931 (NZ BDM Ref 1931/4150).
Page created 1985, last updated 1 December 2019. Copyright Andrew Warland.