The family of Thomas Warland (1794, Bletchingdon - 12 May 1845) and Elizabeth Duvall (1797 - 1877), Bletchingdon, UK
Thomas Warland (1794 - 12 May 1845) was the son of
Thomas Warland (1753 - 1831) and Ann Clark. He married Elizabeth Duvall (daughter of William Duvall, who died 16 October 1843, the sister of Susan Duvall and Benjamin Duvall) sometime before 1819 (based on the birth date of their first child) and then moved to Cambridgeshire.
Thomas and Elizabeth Warland had the following children:
- Sarah Warland (May 1819 , bap 23 May 1819 - 16 June 1898 at 7 Knightshill Rd, West Norwood). Recorded in the 1841 census as a female servant in Berkshire. Sarah married William Blott (1820 - ) on 3 January 1853. Charwoman in 1881. For more information on the Blott and extended families, go to the website managed by Jackie Settle.
- Henry Warland (1821, St Andrew the Less, Cambridge - 31 October 1901 at Cambridge). See below for more information.
- Elizabeth Ellen ?(Anne) Warland (1828, bap, St Andrew the Less, Cambridge - September 1866 at Cambridge). Recorded in the 1841 census but not the 1851 census.
- Thomas George Warland (1829 at St Andrew the Less, Cambridge - June 1864 at Thetford). See below for more information.
- Louisa Warland (May 1833 at Trumpington St Cambridge - 19 April 1915 at 22 Bradmore Street, Cambridge). Recorded in the 1841 and 1851 census in Cambridgeshire.
- William Warland (1835 - 1835 at St Andrew the Less, Cambridge).
The family, less William, are recorded in the 1841 census in Cambridgeshire.
Life of Henry Warland (1821 - 1901)
Thomas and Elizabeth Warland's son Henry Warland (1821 - 1901), a Cabinet Maker, is recorded in the 1841 census.
Henry Warland married three times. His first wife was Susanna Baldrey (1818 - 1868) who he married on 19 August 1847 at Christ Church, Cambridge. Henry and Susanna's children were as follows:
- Martha Susanna Warland (June 1850 at St Andrew the Less, Cambridge - 25 April 1922 at Brignall, Wake Green Road, Moseley, Birmingham)
- Georgiana Elizabeth Warland (21 June 1852 at South Street, Cambridge - June 1876 at Cambridge)
- George Henry Warland (March 1855 at Cambridge - 11 February 1907 at 8 Willis Rd, Cambridge).
- Joshua Swithin Warland (September 1857 at Cambridge - November 1873 at Cambridge)
- Emily Grace Warland (December 1859 at Cambridge - March 1934 at Cambridge)
Both Henry and Susanna Warland are recorded in the 1851 census along with their first child Martha S Warland.
Susanna Warland died in 1868 when her children were still relatively young. Henry then married Emily Jane (?) (1823 - March 1884) on 18 January 1870 at St Andrews the Less, Cambridge. It is not clear what happened to this marriage or Emily. He then married Harriet Goode, Cambridge on a date that is yet unknown.
Henry Warland in the 1871 Census
The 1871 UK census includes Henry's mother Elizabeth and his uncle George.
- George Warland (born 1785, aged 86). This is Henry's uncle, who died in March 1873.
- Elizabeth Warland (born 1799, aged 72). This may be Henry's elderly mother.
The census also includes Henry Warland (born 1821, aged 50), his second wife, Emily I Warland (born 1822, aged 49), and his four children listed as follows:
- Georgeanna E Warland (born 1853, aged 18)
- George H Warland (born 1855, aged 16)
- Joshua T Warland (born 1858, aged 13
- Emily G Warland (born 1860, aged 11)
Marriage of George Henry Warland - 1879
Henry and Emily's son George Henry Warland married Helen Thompson on 18 September 1879. George Henry Warland was also recorded as a Cabinet Maker, Undertaker and House Furnisher. George Henry and Helen Warland had the following children:
- Georgiana Grace Warland (December 1880 at Cambridge - June 1949 at Cambridge)
- William Henry Warland (September 1882 at Cambridge - ?)
- Leslie Guy Warland (March 1889 at Cambridge - March 1966 at Worthing). Married Kathleen Grace Coulson (1925 - 1970). Leslie and Kathleen had one daughther, Joan Hilda Warland, (b 20 December 1924 at Luton - August 1996 at Worthing).
- Maurice George Warland (2nd Lieut) (December 1891 at Cambridge - 20 January 1917)
Henry Warland and son George Henry Warland in the 1881 Census
The 1881 UK census shows Henry as 'George Henry Warland' (date of birth shown as 1822, 'Cabinet Maker'), Emily J Warland (date of birth shown as 1821, 'wife'), and their youngest daughter Emily G Warland (date of birth 1860) at Victoria Cottage, Cambridge. Despite the different dates for the parents, this is believed to be the same as Henry and Emily recorded in 1871, mostly because of the daughter's name and date
The 1881 census includes Henry's son George Henry Warland at 91 Fitzroy Street, Cambridge:
- George H Warland (1855 - ), also shown as 'Cabinet Maker'
- Helen Warland (nee Thompson) (1859 - 4 September 1934), 'Wife'
- Georgiana Grace Warland (December 1880 - June 1949), 'daughter'
George Henry and Helen's other children, not born when the census took place, were:
- William Henry Warland (1882 - )
- Leslie Guy Warland (March 1889 - March 1966, Worthing, UK)
- Maurice George Warland (1891 - 20 January 1917, Iraq (World War 1))
George H Warland does not appear in the 1911 census, but his wife Helen (nee Thompson, born 1859) does, along with George's sister, Emily F Warland (born 1860/1). The following individuals were also present:
- Ellen F Warland (born 1882, aged 29)
- William Henry Warland (born 1883, aged 28)
- Leslie Guy Warland (born 1889, aged 22)
- Winifred Warland (born 1890, aged 21)
- Maurice George Warland (born 1892, aged 19 - died 20 January 1917, Iraq (World War 1))
- James Guy Warland (born 1909, aged 16 months)
William Henry Warland (1883 - ) married Ellen Hedge on 18 February 1909 in St Barnabas, Cambridge, UK, and they had one son, Leslie John Warland.
Leslie Guy Warland (March 1889 - March 1966, Worthing, UK), married Kathleen Grace Coulson in September 1919 in Cambridge, UK, and they had one daughter, Joan Hilda Warland (20 December 1924, Luton, UK - August 1996, Worthing, UK).
Family of Thomas and Elizabeth Warland's son Thomas George Warland (1829 - 1864)
Thomas George Warland (1829 - June 1864 at Thetford) married Susan Hammond (1816 - March 1895) probably before January 1861 and they had two children:
- Millicent Eleanor Warland (September 1861 at Marylebone - December 1923 at Lambeth). Recorded as a Governess in the 1881 census.
- Thomas Henry Warland (September 1863 at Marylebone - December 1938 at Rochford). See below for more information.
Susan and the two children were recorded in the 1881 census at St Pancras, 61 St Pauls Road; Susan was a 'Daily Governess', Millicent a 'Governess', and Thomas Henry a Solicitors General Clerk.
Thomas Henry Warland (1863 - 1938) married Beatrice Louise Thompson (1863 - 1938) before 1898 and had the following children:
- Dudley Thomas Warland (18 October 1898 at 22 Pyrmont Rd, Ilford Essex - June 1944 at Rochford). Married Trixie Maud Handley on 7 May 1918.
- Alma Joan Warland (3 September 1920 at Colchester - 8 February 2005 at 4 Westbourne House Richmond Rd, Twickenham)
- Barbara Maud Warland (8 July 1928 at Rochford - 5 April 2002 at 3 Westbourne House Richmond Rd, Twickenham)
Page created 10 March 2013, updated 4 March 2020. Copyright Andrew Warland