Warland families in Surrey
Surrey is south of greater London and borders Hampshire, another location with many Warland families.
Census records provide information about Warland families living in Surrey from 1841.
Only two Warlands are mentioned in the 1841 census. There relationship with other Warland families is not known.
- Henry Warland, 1826, 15, Surrey, Surrey
- Mary Warland, 1818, 23, Surrey, Surrey
The 1851 census does not appear to include Henry or Mary Warland mentioned in the 1841 census, but appears to include a couple, Henry and Ann Warland, two related individuals, and an elderly Thomas Warland. It seems possible that Thomas Warland (or his family) came from a different location where they were not recorded.
Henry Warland (born 1798, aged 53) and Ann Warland (born 1801, aged 50). The following individuals are listed as related to Henry and Ann Warland and are likely their children:
- Annie Warland, Henry and Ann Warland, 1832, 19, Surrey
- Edward Warland, Henry and Ann Warland, 1835, 16, Surrey
- Phillip Warland, Henry and Ann Warland, 1841, 10, Surrey
Henry Warland (born 1817, aged 34) and Harriet Warland (born 1830, aged 21) are listed as relatives. The nature of the relationship is not known.
Other Warlands listed in Surry in 1851 are as follows. Given his age, Thomas Warland (born 1766) may be the grandfather of other individuals listed in the census:
- Thomas Warland, 1766, 85, Surrey
- A B J Warland, 1811, 40, Surrey
- Alice Warland, 1813, 38, Surrey
- Henry Warland, 1830, 21, Surrey
- Sarah Warland, 1834, 17, Surrey
By the date of the 1861 census the only person remaining from the 1851 census appears to be Henry Warland (born 1817). His relation Harriet Warland does not appear anywhere else in the 1861 census.
Isaac Warland (born 1839 aged 22) and Rebecca Warland (born 1842 aged 19). Both Isaac and Rebecca Warland are shown as born in Surrey. The nature of their relationship is not known.
The remaining Warlands are listed below by age. None appear to have been born in Surrey indicating that they moved there from their birthplace.
- Hannah Warland, 1780, 81, Middlesex, Surrey. Probably the same person as Hannah Warland born 1780 (but in Oxfordshire, not Middlesex), relative of John Warland (born 1781, Oxfordshire). Both were recorded also in the 1841 census. It appears unlikely given her age that she lived in Surrey on her own; Eliza Warland (born 1816) is also recorded in the 1841 and 1851 census and could be her daughter.
- Mary Warland, 1806, 55, Sussex, Surrey. Not recorded in 1841 or 1851 census.
- Eliza Warland, 1816, 45, Oxfordshire, Surrey. Likely to be the daughter of Hannah Warland. Recorded in the 1841 census in Oxfordshire, but not in the 1851 census.
- Henry Warland, Hannah, 1817, 44, Middlesex, Surrey. Not recorded in 1841 or 1851 census. Possibly the brother of Eliza Warland given the reference to Hannah.
- James Warland, 1840, 21, Hampshire, Surrey. Not recorded in the 1841 census but recorded in Hampshire in the 1851 census aged 11.
- Sarah Warland, 1844, 17, Surrey. Not listed in the 1851 census.
By 1871 there are a lot more Warlands in Surrey, about half of which appear to be born in other locations, indicating movement to that location.
- Henry Warland, 1796, 75, Dorset, Sussex. This may (and may not be) the same Henry Warland (born 1798) recorded in 1851.
- Mary Warland, 1806, 65, Scotland, Surrey. This is probably the same Mary Warland in the 1861 census, but note that she is now noted as born in Scotland.
- Emma Warland, 1827, 44, Surrey, Surrey. May be the same as Emma Warland (born 1826 in Oxfordshire) recorded in the 1861 census, or married to a Warland (William, born 1827?).
- William Warland, 1827, 44, Surrey, Surrey. Not recorded in previous censuses, although there is a close match of date (1825) for a William Warland recorded in the 1841 census in Oxfordshire.
- William Warland, 1830, 41, Dorset, Surrey. Probably the same person as William Warland (born 1830 Cheshire, Dorset) recorded in the 1861 census, and William Warland (born 1830) the relative (probably son) of William Warland (born 1797, Dorset.
- Annie Warland, 1840, 31, Cheshire, Sussex. Possibly the same person as Annie Warland (born 1841) recorded in Middlesex in 1861, or married to a Warland (William, born 1830?). Not recorded in the 1851 census.
- Mary A M Warland, 1842, 29, Devon, Surrey. Does not appear to be recorded in previous censuses, including for Devon. May be (or may have been) married to a Warland (Willis Warland, born 1831 and recorded in Devon in the 1861 census?) and may have children listed below who were also born in Devon (William J Warland born 1863 and Selina A Warland born 1865, both in Devon)
- William Warland, 1848, 23, Surrey, Surrey.
- Elizabeth Warland, 1848, 23, Oxfordshire, Sussex. Probably Elizabeth Warland (born 1848, Oxfordshire), the daughter of John and Harriott Warland recorded in the 1851, and again in the 1861 census in Oxfordshire.
- John Warland, 1849, 22, Sussex, Sussex
- George Warland, 1854, 17, Surrey, Surrey
- Alfred Warland, 1857, 15, Surrey, Surrey
- Charles Warland, 1858, 13, Surrey, Surrey
- Esther Warland, 1861, 10, Surrey, Surrey
- William J Warland, 1863, 8, Devon, Surrey. Probably connected with/may be child of Mary A M Warland born 1842 in Devon.
- Frank Warland, 1864, 7, Surrey, Surrey
- Ann Warland, 1864, 7, Cheshire, Sussex
- Jane E Warland, 1865, 6, Surrey, Surrey
- Selina A Warland, 1865, 6, Devon, England, Surrey. Probably connected with/may be child of Mary A M Warland born 1842 in Devon.
- Edwin G Warland, 1860, 1, Surrey, England, Surrey
- Frances L Warland, 1860, 1, Surrey, England, Surrey
The 1881 census shows the actual address for each person and/or family group. The only Warland that can be positively connected with the Warlands in the previous 1871 census is Selina Warland (born 1865, Devon), now recorded as a general servant at 19 Artesian Road, Paddington.
By 1911, many Warlands are recorded in the census for Surrey. Some of these can be grouped by families, based on other information.
Henry Thomas Warland (born 1865, Steyning), brother of William Edward Warland (born 1866), and Alice Warland (born 1867). Recorded in the 1871 census in Kent, and the 1881 census at 19 Buckingham St, Brighton. Henry and Alice Warland's children are listed below:
- Elsie Warland 1900, 11, Steyning, Sussex
- Cicely Warland 1904, 7, Steyning, Sussex
William Edward Warland (born 1866, Steyning), brother of Henry Thomas Warland (born 1865, Steyning), and Fanny Warland (born 1864). Recorded in the 1871 census in Kent, and the 1881 census at 19 Buckingham St, Brighton. William and Fanny Warland's children are listed below:
- Frances Mary Warland, F, 1892, 19, Steyning, Sussex
- Florence E Warland, F, 1894, 17, Steyning, Sussex
- Herbert Warland, M, 1895, 16, Steyning, Sussex
- Ernest E Warland, M, 1896, 15, Steyning, Sussex
Other Warlands in Surrey in 1911 are as follows:
- Jane Warland, F, 1836, 75, Guildford, Surrey. In 1881, Jane was recorded at 73 Maryland Place, Southampton All Sts, as a servant to the Wiblin family
- Emma Warland, F, 1844, 67, East Preston, Sussex. Possibly the same person as Emma Warland (born 1843 Islip), a dressmaker recorded in the 1881 census at 7 Hertford Road, Worthing probably with her mother Alice Warland (born 1812, Noke, Oxfordshire), a 'ladies companion'.
- Henry Warland, M, 1854, 57, Croydon, Surrey
- Margaret Warland, F, 1861, 50, Kingston, Surrey
- William Warland, M, 1863, 48, Kingston, Surrey
- Alice Warland, F, 1867, 44, Farnham, Surrey
- Walter Warland, M, 1880, 31, Farnham, Surrey
- Ellen Warland, F, 1888, 23, Kingston, Surrey
- William Warland, M, 1891, 20, Kingston, Surrey
- George Warland, M, 1895, 16, Kingston, Surrey
- Margaret Warland, F, 1897, 14, Kingston, Surrey
- Ethel Warland, F, 1899, 12, Kingston, Surrey
- Florence Warland, F, 1910, 1, Kingston, Surrey
Page added 17 January, updated 17 January 2015. Copyright Andrew Warland