William Warland his wife Alicia (sometimes known as Ebshie) arrived on the Singapore with William's brother Robert in late 1839.
It seems likely, from the birthdate of their first child, that William and Alicia probably married sometime between 1824 and 1826 in the UK, although if Alicia was born in 1809 this would have made her very young - from 15 to 17. One family story suggested that William and Alicia were living in Yeovil, Somerset, before they travelled to London to travel to Australia.
The children born to William and Alicia in the UK were as follows:
William and (the newly pregnant) Alicia Warland and their five children, together with William's brother Robert and his wife Eliza, departed the UK on the Singapore bound for Australia under the command of Captain Hamilton, on 8 July 1839.
The list of children and deaths above suggest that only two of their children, George and James, survived the journey. John and William died of small pox. It is not known why Edward died but the dates of death of the other children (31 July and 14 August) suggest that he may have suffered a similar fate but possibly, as a small child, did not show the same symptoms.
The Singapore arrived in Adelaide in November 1839. One family story states that the family arrived in Botany Bay (NSW) around Christmas 1839, but there is no evidence of this. The Singapore arrived in Port Adelaide in November 1839, then travelled back to the "East Indies" on 12 January 1840. During that year, after travel to Asia, the Singapore arrived at Port Jackson on 14 December 1840, having left Port Philip in November "with cargo from Singapore". It seems most likely that the family of William (and his brother Robert) disembarked at Port Adelaide, as South Australian newspaper references to the deaths on board ship indicate that the family disembarked there.
According to the book 'Echunga', by Jack Whimpress, William was employed by one J.B. Hack on his arrival in 1839, another stating that he remained with Hack until 1842. He may have then left for Normanville, South of Adelaide. He farmed, made butter, and apparently sent (or tried to send) the produce in casks to Adelaide, although this endeavour failed because the butter spoiled by the time it arrived. One story suggests that William also lived in Yankalilla and attempted to send the butter to Sydney, presumably with the same problems.
By the time they arrived in Australia, William and Alicia had only the following children:
William and Alicia had four more children after 1839:
Location of Wheatsheaf Inn, maps shows proximity to Echunga and Balhannah
After Normanville, William Warland moved to Mylor in the Adelaide Hills, about half way between Adelaide and Echunga, then on the main road to Melbourne and Victoria. He built a hotel there in 1842, noted on Section 3825 in the 'Three Brothers Special Survey' taken by J B Hack in 1840, which he named the Wheatsheaf Inn. The hotel was built from stone from the nearby Onkaparinga River. The Inn was reputed to have had walls 18 inches thick, 20 rooms, and was a popular stopping place during the mining boom after gold was discovered in the area. William was recorded in the local Business Directory in 1851, and again in 1861 as the licensed victualler of the Inn.
The earliest newspaper reference to William Warland's property was the granting of a trading licence to a Joseph Hopkins at 'Wheatsheaf, Warland's farm, near Mount Barker', recorded in the South Australian Register of 28 March 1846. Warland must have taken over as the licensee as the South Australian Gazette and Mining Journal of 18 March 1848 noted that 'William Warland, Wheatsheaf, Warland's Farm' was granted a licence to trade by the bench of magistrates at their regular annual meeting.
In 1851, William's son Henry Warland, then aged 26, went to the Victorian gold diggings, according to his obituary (see below).
William Warland's licence continued to be renewed annually, as recorded in local newspapers. William was noted as the owner of the Wheatsheaf Inn in the South Australian Register of 14 January 1854. In 1855 William Warland 'of the Wheatsheaf Inn near the Echunga Diggings', was fined for neglecting to keep his lamp alight from sunset of the 4th to sunrise of the 5th. In his defence, William stated that 'having been busily employed on his farm that day and much fatigued, he retired to bed early and, although not personally cognizant of the act, he would not attempt to dispute the allegation of the officer ... as the neglect was not intentional. He was fined 10s and costs. (Source: South Australian Register, 16 January 1855).
William Warland's son George Warland married Emily Kelsh on 12 January 1857. The South Australian Register of 4 March 1857 noted the sale of William's entire farming stock. William Warland's daughter Mary Ann Warland married Benjamin Boothby on 1 December 1859 at Blakiston Church, Littlehampton.
William Warland is believed to have fallen sick in around 1861, based on his death notice in 1867 which stated that he had died after six years of severe suffering. His brother, George Warland, died on 6 June 1861 not far away at Blakiston. William's son, Alfred Warland, was badly affected by lightning which struck a tree and a nearby house where Alfred 'and two friends were conversing, striking Mr Warland to the ground.' The South Australian Register of 27 December 1861 noted that 'he has not yet recovered the shock, his head being much affected'.
William Warland's licence was renewed in March 1862, according to the South Australian Register of 12 March 1862. The Wheatsheaf Inn passed to William's son Alfred (1847 - ) in 1862 for a period of twelve months, possibly something to do with William's illness.
According to his obituary (see below), Henry Warland and his brother James Warland took up some country in the North 'but with many others in the bad years before 1863 they lost heavily'.
William Warland's son George Warland is believed to be the person of that name who travelled with the Northern Territory Expedition of 1864. His son James Warland married Sarah Jane Maynard on 15 November 1864. His daughter Sylvia Warland married Guildford Emery Gray of Blakiston Hall, on 6 April 1865. His daughter Matilda Warland married Frederick Read on 21 June 1865.
In 1865, William's son James (born 1834 in the UK) was recorded as being the licensed victualler of the other main hotel in Echunga, the Hagen Arms. The Duke of Edinburgh had dinner at that hotel in 1867.
The Wheatsheaf Inn passed back from Alfred Warland to his father William again until 1866.
On 16 January 1867, section No 3326 'abutting on Warland's Bridge, Onkaparinga, also allotments Nos 78 and 79, Queenstown' were advertised for sale in the Express and Telegraph (Adelaide).
William Warland's wife Alicia died on 19 March 1867. Her obituary in the South Australian Register of 12 April 1867 read as follows:
From our own Correspondent. Echunga April 10. With much regret I have to announce the death of one of the oldest residents in our district namely, the wife of Mr. William Warland, of the Wheatsheaf Hotel. She was only taken seriously ill three days before her death, during which she suffered the severest agony from internal inflammation, terminating fatally on the 19th of March. The deceased was most highly and deservedly respected by all who knew her, and her loss will be severely felt by a large number of friends, and also by many families in Adelaide, who were in the habit, during the summer months, of resorting to the delightfully cool and quiet climate in which the Wheatsheaf Inn is situated. Mrs. Warland was always most energetic and kind in her endeavours to promote the comfort of those who visited her house. The funeral took place on the Sunday following, and was attended by a large number of persons from the surrounding townships, as well as several Adelaide gentlemen. The funeral service was read by the Rev. H. Howitt, of Strathalbyn, and the remains of her who will long be missed and regretted by us all were deposited in their last resting-place in our beautiful little Echunga Churchyard.
William Warland died on 28 May 1867 at the Wheatsheaf Inn, 'after six years of severe suffering'.
The Wheatsheaf Inn, stated to be 'Section 3825, containing 80 acres, on which is erected the well known Roadside House, Warland's Hotel', along with Section 3826 (?) of 23 acres 'adjoining the above', was advertised for sale by the executors of the late W Warland, in the South Australian Register of 19 August 1867. It was to be auctioned on 11 September 1867, according to the same newspaper on 3 September 1867.
William's brother Robert Warland died on 19 January 1868 at nearby Balhannah.
William Warland's son Edward Warland was granted a licence for the Wheatsheaf Inn until December 1867 when the licence was transferred to Charles Willmott - see below.
Alfred Warland, William's son, was recorded as a farmer of the Gawler River, on 2 March 1869 (Source: South Australian Register). He moved to Melbourne, Victoria, sometime after that - see below.
The Wheatsheaf Inn passed to Charles H Willmott until 1871, and possibly continued operation until at least 1875. The Mount Barker Bible Society presented the "Wheat Sheaf Inn" with a bible in that year. In 1879, G W Goyder, the Surveyor General, purchased the property and added rooms to it, while at the same time renaming it Warrakilla. Goyder moved into Warrakilla in 1879, living there until his death in 1898. Goyder is well known for having lived in the property.
The property was sold a few years later and was owned by the Crafter family for some time. The hotel was partially destroyed by bushfire in 1983. The Peacock family owned it around that time and renamed it the Warland Inn. In 1988, the property was purchased by Ed Shoefer, and has since been completely rebuilt (as a winery and convention centre). Over the front doors of the Hotel, there is a glass panel with the name Warrakilla on it.
When Henry Warland died in 1908 his obituary, published in the Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser, provided an overview of his life, repeated below, with additional information added as shown.
Another old resident of Millicent in the person of Mr H. Warland (says the S.E. Star) died on Tuesday night, after a long illness. The deceased was a very old colonist and had experienced the ups and downs of the early days. He arrived in 1839, landing at Holdfast Bay. He took up his residence in the Mount Barker district and indulged in farming, in which he did not meet with much success. [Henry married Sophia Seymour in 1846 (SA BDM Ref 1/211), but they had no children]. The deceased [possibly with his wife Sophia?] went to the Victorian diggings in 1851, where he did fairly well. He then returned home, and after a time he went to the North to the Hill River Station, which he managed for the late Mr. C. Campbell. Some time afterwards he and his brother James took up some country in the North, but with many others in the bad years before 1863 they lost heavily. They went to the Mount Barker district, and in the early seventies deceased came to the South-East. He resided at Mount Gambier for a time; then took up land near the Hanging Rocks, near Tantanoola; and afterwards went to Wyrie Ridge, which property he gave up some few years ago owing to ill health and increasing years. The deceased was a fine type of our old pioneers and a man of sterling worth. He was of a very kindly disposition, making all who came in contact with him respect him. He was in his 84th year, and leaves a wife [Sophia], but no family. He was a brother of Mr. James Warland of Echunga.
Millicent cemetery records include the deaths of Henry Warland on 4 June 1908 and Sophia Warland on 6 December 1910.
George Warland married Emily Kelsh ( - 1927 (SA BDM Ref 473/427)), the third daughter of John Kelsh of Kooringa, on 12 January 1857 (SA BDM Ref 29/188, also reported in the South Australian Register of 31 January 1857). They were said to have had the two children recorded below but neither is listed in SA BDM against both parents. The original source of this information is not known.
George Warland is probably the person of that name, said to be a sheepfarmer on the land around Kooringa (possibly on a property called Audgoudgina), and his wife, who were badly affected by a large lightning bolt that hit their house on 13 March 1858.
NOTE: Some of the following information about a George Warland is speculation, and assumes it is the same person. This George Warland was previously thought to be George's cousin, also called George Warland, the son of George Warland. However, the dates shown would appear to be more consistent with an older George Warland, hence the placement of this information here.
South Australia assumed control of the Northern Territory in 1863, based on the passing of the Northern Territory Bill. An initial 29 men left South Australia on the 'Henry Ellis' in April 1864. In June 1864, Boyle Travers Finniss, the leader, decided that the capital should be located at Escape Cliffs; this choice was later veto'ed by the Government, and Finniss was replaced by John McKinlay.
George Warland is believed to the the person of that name who applied for an appointment as a labourer in the second expedition to the Northern Territory, recorded in The Adelaide Express of 26 October 1864.
The second expedition left Adelaide on 29 October 1864 on board the 'South Australian', bound for Adam Bay, Northern Territory, via Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. However, The Adelaide Observer of 29 October 1864 refers to George Warland but not his brother Albert (who was also believed to have gone on the expedition). The South Australian Register, which recorded all the passenger names on the South Australian, notes that George Warland was on board, but not Albert Warland. Accordingly, it cannot be yet confirmed that Albert also travelled to the Northern Territory. In his own testimony to the Northern Territory Commission (see below), George, a labourer, 'had charge of the stock on board, all of which was landed in good condition'.
A third boat, the 'Forlorn Hope', left Adelaide for the Northern Territory with 7 men in May 1865.
According to the statement made by George Warland at the second sitting of the Northern Territory Commission, as reported in The South Australian Register of 27 March 1866, George arrived at Adam Bay on 5 December 1864. He noted that when he got there, 'there was a shell of a house, a small log building, a stockyard, the rails tied to trees with ropes'. He noted that the dissatisfaction at Escape Cliffs was tremendous. He went on two exploring parties, the first under Mr Auld, which went to Port Darwin, the second under Litchfield, which went to the Adelaide River.
The South Australian Register of 31 July 1865 recorded that:
'A party under the command of Mr Auld went to inspect Port Darwin. On their way they crossed two or three extensive creeks described as being almost as large as rivers, and as containing abundance of fish. The report of most of the members of the expedition was unfavorable to Port Darwin; but Mr Warland, however, an experienced bushman and competent person, stated that it was very good country, with a gradual rise from the sea; that the harbour was good and that there was plenty of stone and building material equally accessible'.
According to the book 'The Voyage of the Forlorn Hope from Escape Cliffs to Champion Bay, 1865 - With the Author's Account of the First Northern Territory Settlement and of the Condition of Western Australia', by Jefferson Pickman Stow (Originally appeared as a series of articles in Adelaide's South Australian advertiser, Aug. 21 through Sept. 1, 1865), some time after their arrival, George Warland and a group of others set out to explore the countryside surrounding the settlement; mangrove swamps were encountered in all directions. Eventually, a small party including George Warland made its way to Port Darwin and reported back good conditions for settlement and possible mining deposits.
See also: A History of South Australia's Northern Territory by Peter F Donovan, UoQ Press.
The South Australian Register of 31 July 1865 carried a letter from J P Stow who appeared unhappy with the expedition and the state of affairs. He noted the following case 'in which Mr George Warland is concerned':
Warland belonged to a survey party who had collected some rain water and stored it in a Government tank. The Government Resident had caused some spouting for catching rain water to be placed round his house and round no other building. He then sent men to collect tanks. They took, among others, the tank belonging to Warland's party; throwing away the water. Warland being afraid to use the well-water, it having produced severe sickness with him and others, took some rain water from one of the Resident's tanks. The Resident sent for him next day, professedly to rebuke him for taking the water, but really, as it appeared, to abuse him for giving his opinion respecting the country. He called Warland a thief and a scoundrel, recommended him to drink sea water and told him he was led away by the iles of the Doctor and his scroundrel friends. All this passed in the open air, and was heard by a number of people, including three of the officers, as they sat at the doors of their tents.
George Warland's altercation with Boyle Travers Finniss was recorded on page 23 of the book by J P Stow noted above.
According to the South Australian Register of 31 July 1865, the expedition returned back to South Australia after travelling by ship from the Northern Territory to Batavia (present day Jakarta), then to Melbourne. The South Australian Weekly Chronicle of 17 February 1866 noted the arrival of the Ellen Lewis with the expedition (including George Warland), arriving in Port Adelaide on 13 February 1866.
The Northern Territory Commission held its first sitting on 7 March 1866 in Adelaide. The leader of the expedition, Lt Col Finniss, was charged with a number of failures, as recorded in The South Australian Advertiser of 27 March 1866. On the second day of the Commission it was noted that George Warland was 'one of the most plausible and discontented men'.
The final report of the Commission, dated 1866 and available from the AIATSIS web site here (caution - large PDF file in link) noted the following about George Warland:
George Warland returned to Kooringa. He is recorded as a Justice of the Peace in Kooringa in the Evening Journal, South Australia, of 24 July 1876. He is noted as being 'of World's End', a remote part of South Australia near Kooringa, in July 1876 (Source: The South Australian Advertiser of 7 July 1876). He wrote a letter to the editor of the South Australian Advertiser, concerning the extent of rabbits in the area, on 27 October 1876.
George Warland may be the person who was appointed Manager at Elsey Station, Northern Territory, in May 1888 as reported in the Northern Territory Times and Gazette of 5 May 1888, and who was reported in various newspapers having strong views on Government policy in regard to Chinese (see Christian Colonist, 13 July 1888)? This same George Warland was also reported to have visited Adelaide in April 1891, presumably to visit family there. (Source: The Queenslander, 4 April 1891, also reported in the Adelaide Observer of 21 March 1891.)
It is believed that George Warland is the person of that name who died at Echunga on 27 July 1901, aged 72. (Source The Advertiser, 7 August 1901). The SA BDM Ref is 279/193, death at Mount Barker. Neither a father's nor a relative's name is given.
Emily Warland (nee Kelsh) died in 1924 (SA BDM Ref 473/427, relative George Warland)(or 6 October 1925? See The Advertiser, 27 September 1927). A stained glass memorial window was placed in her memory in the porch of St John's Anglican Church, Halifax Street, Adelaide. The newspaper noted that Emily devoted herself to the choir boys of St John's for many years 'and many remember her with feelings of deep affection and gratitude'. The window was donated by relatives of Mrs Warland 'and is the work of Mr William Aikman of London. It bears the figure of St Elizabeth, behind which is a pomegranete tree in full fruit and is inscribed with the words 'In Memory of Emily Warland'.
According to the obituary of James Warland's brother Henry, both Henry and James '... took up some country in the North, but with many others in the bad years before 1863 they lost heavily. They went to the Mount Barker district, and in the early seventies deceased came to the South-East'.
James Warland married Sarah Jane Maynard (1843 - 1913) on 15 November 1864 in South Australia. They had the following children and grandchildren:
James Warland was recorded as being the licensed victualler of the other main hotel in Echunga, the Hagen Arms, in 1865. Family members recall that James 'had a lot of property around Echunga ... but took over the Hagen Arms Hotel in Echunga in 1865 and was there when the Duke of Edinburgh had dinner on his way to Melbourne in 1867 and gave James permission for the Royal Coat of Arms to be displayed over the hotel which, as far as anyone knows, is the only Royal Coat of Arms to be so displayed. The first four children of James were born while he was at the Hagen Arms Hotel'. (Source: letter dated 1988).
Recent photograph of the Hagen Arms Hotel, showing the crest. Source: http://www.sahb.com.au/property/hagen-arms-hotel/
James Warland died on 14 July 1910 at Echunga leaving (according to the Chronicle of 30 July 1910) 'five sons, two daughters, and nine grandchildren'. His obituary was published in The Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser of 15 July 1910. It read as follows:
Mr. James Warland, J.P., who was probably the oldest and best-known resident of the Echunga district died at his residence, 'Woodlands', on Thursday afternoon. Deceased had resided in the South for a great many years and had been prominently connected with the Echunga Goldfields from their discovery. He had taken a leading part in all public matters, and was a member of the district council and institute for a lengthy period. A widow and family survive, and Mr. Edward Warland, of Warland's Hotel, Victor Harbor, is a brother and Mrs. Guildford Gray, Blakiston, a sister of the deceased, who was highly respected and was personally known to many of the old colonists.
The Observer of 23 July 1910 carried a similarly worded obituary.
Sarah Jane Warland's obituary in the Chronicle (Adelaide, SA) of Saturday 19 July 1913 read as follows.
On July 8, Mrs S J Warland, relict of Mr James Warland, died at Echunga after a long illness, aged 71. She was born at Burnside in 1842, and since her marriage, 50 years ago, had been a constant resident of Echunga. In her young days she was always a willing helper in anything for the benefit of the town. She was a supporter to the local institute, and was a member till the time of her death. She left seven children: Mrs H Douglas (Albany), Mrs J Dalwood (Echung), Messrs A H H Warland, H E L Warland, P M Warland and V Warland (Echunga), and Mr W L H Warland (Balhannah) - and fourteen grandchildren. Mrs Warland was highly respected.
According to Mrs Julie Priem of Highbury, South Australia, in the late 1980's, the family of James and his wife Sarah were mainly self-taught musicians, many playing for the silent movies and dances. This musical interest was passed down to the next two generations.
Most of the following is drawn from the booklet 'Brief Encounter', in a section written by Irma Springbett, who was living 11 Warland Avenue, Victor Harbour when this information was collated in the late 1980's. It is reproduced with her permission.
As noted above, Edward Warland was the last member of the family to run the Wheatsheaf Inn. Family history states that Edward worked on the Echunga goldfield, where his brother James had a lease, as well as at Gympie in Queensland and the Peralilla flux quarries in Hindmarsh Valley. He was a member of the Encounter Bay District Council, and was a committee man and trustee for the Institute Hall. In his younger days, he apparently was renowned for his pure tenor voice, and frequently appeared at concerts throughout the southern districts of South Australia. He then took up farming in the north of South Australia, and later on the Angas Plains. Drought and pestilence hampered his efforts, so he moved to Strathalbyn to try his luck with a bakery. He became a Councillor there and married Harriet Cooper McLean, the daughter of a pioneering family in that area. The McLean family history has been written by Diane Facey of Millicent, South Australia, and includes all details on the descendants of Edward and Harriet.
The family moved to Port Elliot in August 1877, where Edward was one of the founders of the Port Elliot Institute Hall. Edward and Harriet had the following children:
Edward, Harriet and their two sons moved to Victor Harbour and built a two storey house on the seafront, which they named Austral House. Austral House became a licenced hotel in 1881. Harriet became well-known for her generosity with leftover food. The hotel later became the Pipiriki Guest House and was demolished in the 1970's.
For the history of Laurence and Albert in Victor Harbour, go to this page.
Edward Warland died on 14 August 1922. His wife Harriet died on 21 January 1942, aged 96. Both are buried in the Victor Harbour cemetery.
Benjamin Boothby was the son of Justice Benjamin Boothby, a notable (some might suggest notorious) South Australian colonial judge. For details see:
There are several other publicly available sources of information. The details below are mostly from these open sources but also from a descendant, Michael Clark, the great-great grandson of Benjamin and Mary Ann Warland.
Justice Benjamin Boothby (5 February 1803 - 21 June 1868) married Maria Bradbury Robinson (c. 1807 – 18 June 1889) in May 1827, and lived at "The Glen", Glen Osmond, in South Australia. They had twelve (or 15) children who were all born in England before they migrated to Australia.
Their second child, Benjamin Boothby (18 February 1831, Nottingham, UK - 13 August 1883, Adelaide South Australia), was articled to a London architect and surveyor before migrating to Australia with his parents and siblings. He was appointed a surveyor-engineer with the South Australian Central Road Board in 1854. On 1 December 1859, Benjamin Boothby married Mary Ann Warland (1841 - 15 May 1925) at Blakiston Church, Littlehampton, South Australia. They had six sons and at least one daughter:
After his marriage to Mary Ann Warland, Benjamin became manager of the waterworks in 1861 but, after a bitter dispute with the engineer over plans for a new reservoir, returned to the Road Board. In the economic recession of 1870 his office was abolished and he practised as an engineering consultant. In 1872-73 he superintended the construction of the Adelaide-Glenelg railway and managed it until he retired in 1879. He died at Glenelg on 13 August 1883. (Source: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/boothby-benjamin-3321)
Benjamin Boothby and his wife Mary Ann (nee Warland), who outlived him by 42 years, are buried together at North Road Cemetery in Adelaide.
Sylvia Warland married Guildford Emery Gray, the only son of Benjamin Gray, of Blakiston Hall, on 6 April 1865. (Source: South Australian Register, 26 April 1865 and The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), 8 April 1865).
GRAY - WARLAND. On the 6th of April, by special licence, at St James Church, Blakiston by the Rev W W Ewbank, Guildford Emery, only son of Mr Benjamin Gray, of Blakiston Hall, to Sylvia, second daughter of Mr William Warland, Onkaparinga.
Guildford Emery’s father Benjamin was born 1810 in Littlehampton England and after travelling on the ship Resource to Australia in 1838. He built the town of Littlehampton in South Australia.
Curiously, a Guildford Emery Gray was baptised in Littlehampton England on 5th November 1837 at St Mary’s church and he is mentioned on the Resource’s passenger manifest. But there is also a record of a Guilford Emery Gray being baptised on 30 November 1842 in Adelaide to parents Benjamin and Eliza. This discrepancy needs further investigation.
Before he married Sylvia Warland, Guildford Gray was married to an Elizabeth Chapman (marriage location not known - not obviously in SA BDM records, possibly in the UK) and they had two children: Francis Edgar Chapman Gray born 1861 (not apparently listed in SA BDM records) and Eva Amelia Chapman Gray (1864, Mouth Barker (SA BDM Ref 30/477) - ). An Elizabeth Chapman with a relative David Chapman died in Nairne in 1865 (SA BDM Ref 20/121), so this may be the reason Guildford was seeking a new wife.
Guildford Gray died on 22 June 1906. His life was summarised in an article that appeared in the Express and Telegraph Adelaide of 22 June 1906 and on 23 June 1906 in The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA).
No name is more closely associated with the history of Blakiston in the Mount Barker district that that of Gray. The squire of 'Blakiston Hall' (Mr Benjamin Gray) died many years ago, and now his son, Mr Guilford E. Gray, who was widely known, as also passed away, his death occuring at the old family residence on Wednesday. Mr Gray, who was born at Blakiston on September 19, 1842, received his early education at a local private school conducted by an Anglican clergyman, and thence went to St Peter's College. On the completion of his term there he entered the brewery of Littlehampton and [sic - land? which was owned by his father. In 1865 he was married to Miss Sylvia Warland, and went to Melrose, where he opened a brewery, but a great drought told against the success of the venture, and after an absence of four years Mr Gray returned to Blakiston. Within a year he was appointed manager and brewer at Messrs Boucant and Lewis's brewery at Macclesfield, and after two years' service in that capacity he secured an appointment from Messrs. Bailey and Stanley to act in a similar capacity at the Lion Brewery at North Adelaide, where he remained for 14 years. He bought the Hyde Park Brewery in 1885, and during the three years that he was there was elected as councillor for the Unley ward and was proposed for the position of mayor, an honor which he agreed to accept, but subsequently found it impossible to do so. In 1888 Mr Gray, with others, built a brewery at Broken Hill, the specifications and work being supervised by him. A severe drought occurred, however, and after obtaining supplies of water from Adelaide for some time, the company had to suspend operations. Mr Gray returned to Blakiston and then went back to Broken Hill to act as manager and brewer for the Waverley Brewery, owned by Messrs Beaglehole and Simpson, whence he went to control the Union Brewery in Adelaide for Messrs Primrose and Co. Six years later (says the Mount Barker 'Courier'), Mr Gray's health broke down and he returned to Blakiston, which had been his home ever since. Although he had been under the doctor's care for a good while it was not until Sunday morning that he took to his bed. The cause of death was heart failure. He left a widow, but no family.
Matilda Warland married Frederick Read, of Melrose, Manager of the Copper Miner's Company of South Australia, on the 21st June 1865 at the residence of Henry Warland. Frederick was the son of James Brice Read. (Source: Adelaide Observer, 24 June 1865). The following children are recorded:
Frederick Read may be the person of that name injured in an accident at Wallaroo Mines on 9 May 1902, as recorded in the Chronicle of 17 May 1902.
One son who did not stay in South Australia was Alfred Warland. An Alfred Warland appears from 1887 in Hawthorn, Victoria. In 1889, he and wife Helen Elizabeth (nee Sharpe) had a daughter, Gladys Bertina Elizabeth Warland (VIC BDM Ref 2292). Alfred is recorded in Footscray in 1894. His daughter Gladys Warland appears with him in 1900.
From 1910 to 1916, Alfred is listed at 23 Collins Place Melbourne. He married an Esther Stephenson Cumming in 1915 (VIC BDM Ref 11064) and they had one son, Alfred Warland, born in 1918.
In 1918, Alfred Warland was recorded at 98 Athol Street, Moonee Ponds. In 1921, he appears with Esther at 428 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne where they lived until 1924.
Alfred and Esther Warland moved to 83 The Crescent, Ascot Vale, where Esther is recorded until 1935 (at least).
Alfred Warland died in 1924 (VIC BDM Ref 3897) at 83 The Crescent, Ascot Vale. His death notice in the The Argus (Melbourne) of 28 April 1924 states that he was 83 and 'the dearly beloved husband of Esther S Warland and dear father of Alfie'.
Alfred Warland lived in Rye, Victoria until his death in early 2007. He married and had three children.
Page created 1985, updated 8 April 2020, Copyright Andrew Warland.