Arrival in New South Wales, 1853 - Edward Warland (31 March 1835, UK - 2 August 1922)

Edward Warland's origins

Edward Warland (1835, Macclesfield, Cheshire - before 1913) arrived in New South Wales in 1853. He was the son of Henry Warland (23 Sep 1797 - 25 Jun 1881) and Anne Roberts/Johnston, and the brother of Philip Christopher, who arrived in 1867 and lived in Victoria. Edward and his family lived in the northern parts of New South Wales for most of his life.

Edward Warland should not be confused with another Edward Warland, the brother of William Henry Warland, who arrived in 1838 and who also lived in the New England area of New South Wales.

Other families who connected with Edward's family and children are also recorded on this page.

1840 - John Stringer arrives in Australia, moved to Stroud, NSW

Some of the information on the Wyatt and Stringer family below was provided by Lesley Mcnee in early 2017.

According to this site, John Stringer was born in Enovely, Wicklow, Ireland in around 1820 to a William Stringer and Fanny (surname not provided). He was brought to Australia by a company recruiting Irish labourers to work for the Australian Agricultural Company at Stroud, arriving on the Royal Consort on 11 November 1840. According to his death notice (see below), John Stringer was employed as a horse driver by the P.R. Company from 1846 for around 30 years.

John Stringer re-appears below in 1854 when he married Mary Ann Wyatt.

1841 - The McCrossins, Steeles, Scholes and John Glover arrive in Australia, move to New England NSW

A lot of the information about the Steele family on this site was provided by Glennys Gow in NSW and is reproduced here with her permission.

According to Glennys Gow, the McCrossins, Steeles, and John Glover were from Northern Ireland. The Scholes were from Lancashire. All arrived in Australia on board the Cadet which arrived in Sydney on 9 August 1841. They moved to the New England area of New South Wales and set up hotels and business from Bendemeer to Rocky River and Armidale.

One of the families on board the Cadet was Samuel Steele (abt 1801 - ) and his wife Margaret Steele (nee Abage)(abt 1805, based on her death notice - 1873). Samuel Steele was a native of Newton Stewart, County Tyrone, Ireland and was the son of James Steele, a farmer, and Margaret Commins. Margaret Steele (nee Abage) was from Castle Fannon, Donegal, and was the daughter of Andrew Abage, a farmer, and Mary Wallace. Samuel and Margaret Steele were married by 1822 and had the following children who they brought to Australia:

Margaret and Isabella Steele noted arriving as assisted passengers in Sydney on the Cadet in 1841. Their brother Robert is also listed on a previous page. Their parents Margaret and Samuel Steele do not appear to be listed in the passenger manifest.

According to Isabella's 1920 obituary (see below), '... not long after the arrival of the family in Sydney, Mr Steele proceeded to the Paterson River where he rented some land and carried on farming operations'. (Source: Guyra Argus of 28 October 1920 and the Uralla Times and District Advocate of 6 November 1920)

Samuel Steele's sister Martha Steele had married Samuel McCrossin (presumably before leaving Ireland) and they had a daughter, Martha McCrossin. Martha McCrossin married John Glover (who also arrived on the Cadet) at West Maitland in 1847 (NSW BDM Ref 74/1847 V184774 84). The Glover and McCrossin families lived in the Bendemeer area of NSW between Uralla and Tamworth.

Dungog, New South Wales

March 1848 - Death of Samuel Steele at Dungog

According to The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser of Saturday 25 March 1848 (repeated in the Sydney Morning Herald on 29 March 1848), Samuel Steele drowned in floodwaters near Dungog on 22 March 1848. The newspaper reported the event as follows:

March 24, 1848. DUNGOG. Melancholy Accident. - On Wednesday last Mr. Samuel Steel, a settler on the Bandon Grove Estate, Chichester River, was in this township, when a storm of rain, or rather a waterspout, fell in the neighbourhood, which caused an almost instant overflow of the creeks. Notwithstanding the advice of a friend Mr. Steel persisted in starting for home about three o'clock, p.m. From that moment nothing was heard of him, and on Saturday several of the neighbours made a search through all the water-courses, when he was found drowned in the Myall Creek, about midway between Dungog and his own place. On the information being given, Mr. Cook, the coroner, with a jury of thirteen men, proceeded to the spot to hold an inquest, but no witnesses being present the inquest was adjourned till to-day, when it will be held at the Dungog Inn. Swollen as the creeks were on that evening, there is not the slightest suspicion of any unfair play. Mr. Steel was a man much respected in this neighbourhood, and has left a wife (who is aged and helpless) to deplore his loss.

Samuel Steele was buried at Bandon Grove, Dungog Shire, New South Wales. (Sources: Australian Cemeteries Index, Australia Cemetery Inscriptions (FamilySearch), Australia Sydney Branch Genealogical Library, Find a Grave Index, via Glennys Gow in July 2017.

According to her obituary in 1920, Isabella Jane Steele moved to Sydney after her father's death and remained there until 1853.

1848 - Charles and Jane Wyatt and family arrive in Australia

Charles Wyatt (abt 1815, Devon, England - 1897, Parramatta) and his wife Jane Wyatt (nee Gray)( - 1874, Parramatta) were from Asbhurton, Devon, England. Jane's sister Harriet Crispin (nee Paine) and her husband (probably John Crispin - a John and Harriet Crispin had children born in Australia from 1843 to 1855)) were already in the colony and this may have influenced their decision to emigrate.

Charles and Janet Wyatt arrived in New South Wales on board the Castle Eden on 9 October 1848 with the following children:

Charles and Jane Wyatt had the following additional children after arrival:

The Wyatt family lived in the Tamworth area of New South Wales.

Jane Wyatt (nee Gray) may have suffered from dementia (based on newspaper reports of her wandering off and getting lost) and died in 1874 in Parramatta (NSW BDM Ref 7109/1874). There is a plaque at All Saints Church Parramatta dedicated to Jane. Charles Wyatt, the son of George and Mary Wyatt, died in 1897 at the Macquarie Street 'Asylum' (old men's home) in Parramatta (NSW BDM Ref 13168/1897).

According to the family, Mary Jane Wyatt gave birth out of marriage to a daughter named Jane Ann Wyatt in 1853 at Hinton. Only one girl named Jane A was born to a Mary J in 1853; a Jane A Taylor was born to James and Mary J Taylor (NSW BDM Ref 2988/1853 V18532988 40) - was James Taylor Jane Ann Wyatt's father? Another 'Mary Jane Macspadden' was born to a Mary Jane and John Macspadden in 1853). Jane later married George Moffat.

1849 - Clouten family arrives in New South Wales as assisted immigrants

Elizabeth Ann Clouten was born on 8 January 1837 at Folkestone, Kent, England, to George and Elizabeth Clouten. (Source: FHL Film No 1850119).

According to the list of assisted immigrants (Reel 2135, 4/4786, page 325, Reel 2460, 4/4914), the following members of the Clouten family arrived in New South Wales on board the Tory in 1849:

1849 - Young Samuel Steel appears as witness in court

In the Maitland Circuit Court on Saturday 15 September 1849, Samuel Steel gave evidence as a witness to an assault by father and son Donald and John McPhee against Thomas Logan that occured on 3 July 1849. Samuel Steel was described as 'a young man of eighteen or twenty years, and in the employ of Logan', a farmer who at the time was ploughing with bullocks when the McPhees assaulted him. The evidence was, however, contradictory and the jury returned a verdict of not guilty. (Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser, 19 September 1849)

1850 - Margaret Steele (nee Abage) marries Henry Pankhurst

Margaret Steele, the 45 year old widow of Samuel Steele who drowned in 1848, married Henry Pankhurst on 25 October 1850 at Stanhope, as recorded in the Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser of 30 October 1850.

1852 - Elizabeth Ann Clouten a servant

The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser of 18 September 1852 had the following note:

Masters and Servant Act ... Yesterday three cases under this act came before the bench, Major Crummer, Mr. Doyle, and Mr. Green. The first case was John Edwards v. Elizabeth Ann Clouten, who was charged with absenting herself from his service. Mr. Edwards deposed that she was verbally hired for three months by Mrs. Edwards. The girl denied this, saying she was hired only by the week. The case was about to be postponed for Mr. Edwards to produce evidence as to the hiring, when he consented to the agreement being cancelled, not wishing to have the girl back again; but he gave up his bail, having become bail for her keeping the peace some short time since. The girl was removed in custody, awaiting another bail.

1853 - Isabella Jane Steele marries William McCrossin

Isabella Jane Steele (daughter of Samuel and Margaret Steele) married William McCrossin on 28 March 1853. They were married by the same Minister who two years later married her brother Samuel Steele. (Sources: NSW BDM Ref 85/1853 V1853244, and Sydney Morning Herald 30 March 1853). William and Isabella McCrossin moved to Wandsworth and had a family there. (Source: Guyra Argus of 28 October 1920 and the Uralla Times and District Advocate of 6 November 1920)

Isabella McCrossin died in 1920. (NSW BDM Ref 19874/1920)

Armidale, Wandsworth, Rocky River area, New South Wales

1853 - Edward Warland arrives in Sydney, travels to Rocky River, NSW

The 18 year old Edward Warland arrived in Sydney in early August 1853 on board the Investigator under Captain John Smith which left Plymouth on 23 April the same year. (Source Empire, Sydney, 5 August 1853 page 2). On his departure he was given two books. The first, a bible, included the following note on the fly leaf: 'To Edward with the best wishes of a sincere friendship'. Edward gave this bible to his grandson Oswald Warland in December 1911, noting that 'this book was given to me by a very dear lady friend on leaving England'. The second book read on the fly leaf: 'Edward Warland. The parting birthday gift of his affectionate sister. Anne Warland. Dorchester, March 31th 1853'. It is not known what may have caused or inspired him to travel to Australia at such a young age, however he may been aware of a distant relative already there, William Henry Warland.

In a letter to the Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser, printed on 1 March 1921 under the heading 'OLDEST LINK WITH THE ROCKY', Edward described his earliest movements after arrival in Australia.

I landed on the Rocky on Jan. 2 1854, and was for a time engaged in mining. When the river and Maitland Point and other small rushes were worked out, I went over to Mudgee and settled down for a time on the Meroo. Leaving there, I retraced my steps to the old Rocky River, where Mount Jones had just broken out, and there I obtained a situation in the store of the late, Wm McCrossin.

Edward Warland's employment with William McCrossin was very likely how he met the much older (by 11 years) Margaret Steele (born 1824). See below for further extracts from Edward's letter.

Edward Warland's cousin Henry Warland arrived in Victoria in 1855.

1854 - John Stringer marries Mary Jane Wyatt

John Stringer met and married Mary Jane Wyatt (then the mother of 1 year old Jane Ann Wyatt) in Stroud around 1854. There is no record of this marriage as the church in which the records were kept had a fire and many records were destroyed. John and Mary Jane Stringer had ten children, the youngest of which were born at Goonoo Goonoo Station where John worked as a labourer. Many of the children started work at a very young age:

1855 - Samuel Steel marries Elizabeth A Clouten

Samuel Steel (no 'e') married Elizabeth A Clouten in 1855 (Ref 38/1855 V18553856) and they had two children:

Samuel and Elizabeth Steele appear to have separated sometime after the birth of a third child, according to Bill Purcell, the great-great-grandson of Elizabeth Clouten, writing in 2012 ( Elizabeth then apparently entered into a relationship with George Morrison and had five more children. In 1879, Elizabeth Steele (nee Clouten) married George Ward in 1879 - see below.

Samuel Steel married Sarah McCann by 1872, and had more children - see below.

1856 - Henry and Margaret Pankhurst noted in newspaper

Henry Pankhurst posted a notice in The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser on 9 February 1856 stating that his wife Margaret (nee Abage) had 'left my house without provocation', and that he would not be held responsible for 'any debts she may contract after this date'.

1856 - Edward Warland (1835 - 1922) marries Margaret Steele (abt 1824 - )

The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser of Saturday 27 December 1856 noted Edward's marriage to Margaret Steele. 'On the 23rd (December 1856) instant, by special licence, at St Peter's Church Armidale, by the Rev S. Hungerford, Edward, third son of Mr Henry Warland of London, to Margaret, daughter of the late Mr Samuel Steele, Dungog, Williams River'. (NSW BDM Ref 1018/1856). Their marriage certificate shows Edward's occupation as 'Storekeeper' and his address as Rocky River, not far south-west of Armidale (and a relatively isolated rural location). Margaret's occupation on the certificate is not clear but could be 'Dressmaker' (or some other 'maker'). Although he started his working life in Australia as a miner, Edward appears to have decided to become a teacher, and was quite literate.

Edward and Margaret Warland are understood to have had seven children (based on the last child being named Septimus), but only six are listed below:

Edward Warland's occupation shows as 'Teacher, aged 30, from Macclesfield, Cheshire' on his son Ernest's birth certificate. It also noted that there were already three males living and two males dead.

Edward's letter in March 1821 continued as follows:

Afterwards I bought a working share in the Hamburg tunnel, on Mount Jones, and was working there for some time till we sold out to a party of Chinese. After that I obtained a small mail contract from Uralla to the Rocky, and on the expiry of which I entered into the service of the Education Department, holding office as teacher at Uralla and later at Narrabri, and subsequently at Saumarez Creek Public School. (rest of letter is included below)

The Illawarra Mercury of Friday 1 April 1864 ran an article titled 'Sample of Suffolk Wheat'. It stated:

We have received from Mr Edward Warland of Uralla, a splendid sample of wheat, and cannot do better than quote the letter enclosing it. The writer says: "Per last mail from England, I have received, in a letter from my father, a small portion of Suffolk wheat which he obtained from Mr H. Smyth, the eminent nurseryman of Brighton, and which he tells me is worth its weight in gold, such a sample never having been seen in England before. I purpose dibbling mine in a sandy soil (having no choice), and I have given a few grains to a friend, who will plant it in red soil. The few grains I enclose, you had better plant in black soil, on Hallet's system. We shall then have an opportunity of seeing how it will thrive in the various soils. You might notice it in your next issue, particularly remarking that it was obtained through Mr H Smyth, and it may be the means of obtaining other samples for me of choice and rare grain. &c., which will be of service to the colony generally. The plumpness, beauty, and peculiar appearance of the wheat in question are worthy of special remark. Better attention to seed wheat in this district is very much required, and we shall be glad to co-operate With Mr Warland in doing all we can towards assisting in the introduction of an improvement in this respect. Mr Hallett began with one ear, and its produce is now famours over the world. We shall divide the sample we have received different soils, and report the results.

The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser of Saturday 23 April 1864 noted that the Bench had appointed Edward Warland bailiff of the Court of Requests for the district of Uralla.

On 16 May 1866, Edward Warland, a teacher at the 'National School, Uralla' (in the Rocky Road area), wrote a letter to the Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser, published on 19 May 1866. The article makes references to counterfeit coins and a lesson given by Edward to his students on mercury and 'the many uses to which it was applied'.

Edward Warland, 'teacher', published a brief notice in the Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser on Saturday 5 January 1867 advising students that the Public School at Uralla would be open for the reception of pupils on 7 January 1867.

Edward Warland's brother, Philip Christopher Warland, arrived in Victoria in 1867. It is assumed that the two had some form of communication but no record of this remains.

The Empire newspaper of Wednesday 11 March 1868 noted that Edward Warland (among many others) was a 'teacher under Council of Education' (Church of England).

Some time after 1868, the family moved to Narrabri in New South Wales. The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser of Tuesday 5 January 1869 ran a notice dated 28 December 1868 from Edward Warland, teacher, stating that 'the buildings in course of erection for a Public School at Narrabri are expected to be completed by January 31st next, when accommodation will be provided for a limited number of boarders who will have the opportunity of securing the comforts of a home combined with a good sound education'. On Saturday 11 December 1869 the same newspaper included a notice from Edward Warland, teacher, to parents and guardians that accommodation is now prepared at the Public School, Narrabri, for a limited number of boarders 'where the comforts of a home combined with a good sound education can be obtained'.

1872 - Samuel Steele and Sarah McCann

Samuel Steele and Sarah McCann (abt 1832 - 26 February 1927, Cowra NSW), a daughter of Patrick McCann and his wife, married by 1872. The following children are recorded.

1873 - Death of Margaret Pankhurst (nee Abage), widow of Samuel Steele

Margaret Pankhurst (nee Abage), the wife of Henry Pankhurst and widow of Samuel Steele, died at West Maitland in February 1873 aged 68 (NSW BDM Ref 4978/1873).

1873 - Death of Margaret Warland, Edward returns to mining

Margaret Warland (nee Steele) died on 27 February 1873, the same month and year as her mother. Her death notice in the Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser of Saturday 8 March 1873 stated that Margaret, the beloved wife of Edward Warland, 'late teacher of the Public School, Saurmarez Creek' (not that far from Rocky River, to the east), died of consumption. It is said that she was the first white person to be buried in Tingha. Her death left Edward with five young sons, aged from 15 to 4, to care for. Edward never re-married.

Sometime in late 1875, Edward lost 'four working bullocks' with various marks and colours. He advertised this loss, offering a reward of two pounds, in the Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser on Friday 10 March 1876.

The New South Wales Government Gazette of Friday 30 November 1877 [Issue No.379, Page 4619] recorded that Edward Warland applied for a mineral lease for an area of 40 acres in the County of Hardinge, Parish of Swinton, on 28 June 1876, commencing 15 October 1877. On Friday 1 February 1878 [Issue No.38, Page 473] the Gazette referred to Edward Warland & John Doherty in the Peel and Uralla Mining District who applied for a mining lease of 20 acres on 27 March 1876. On 12 February 1878, Edward Warland's horse brands were registered in the Gazette going from Narrabri to Tingha.

The Tingha School Centenary booklet 1874 - 1974 listed Edward Warland as a parent with five children, living three chains from the school.

1875 - George William Steel marries Elizabeth Mary Cobbin

George William Steel (1855 - 1900 (NSW BDM Ref 9721/1915)), the eldest son of Robert/Samuel Steel and Elizabeth A Clouten, married Elizabeth Mary Cobbin ( - 1900), the eldest daughter of Matthew M Cobbin of Belmont and niece of Mrs H Sneesby of Newcastle, in Newcastle in 1875 (NSW BDM Ref 3475/1875). They had the following children:

Note that the family above should not be confused with the family and children of another George and Elizabeth Steel whose children were born a bit further up the coast at Port Macquarie:

1876 - Death of John Stringer, husband of Mary Jane (nee Wyatt)

The death notice for John Stringer in The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser of 11 November 1876 stated that 'deceased was a man ordinarily of a sullen disposition, but occasionally was subject to violent ebullitions [sic] of temper. He sometimes over-indulged in liquor but from the evidence adduced, it would appear that he had not been drinking at so recent a date as to account for his self-destruction through delirium'. The article goes on to state that John committed suicide in his hut at the P.R. Company's washpool on the Peel River, around 20 kms from Tamworth (shown as 'Nundle' on the death registration), on Sunday 4 November 1876 (NSW BDM Ref 8834/1876). It noted that '... the unfortunate man was unhappy in his domestic relations and perhaps this may be the origin of his otherwise inexplicable deed. He leaves a wife and five or six children'.

1879 - Elizabeth Steele marries George Ward

According to the Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate of 7 February 1879, Elizabeth Anne Steel (nee Clouten), 'eldest and only surviving daughter of George Clouten, of Lake Macquarie, near Newcastle', married George Ward at Goonal Station, near Moree, on the 23rd December, 1878, by the Rev. Cabel Terry, Wesleyan minister. George and Elizabeth Ward had a daughter, according to Bill Purcell in 2012, who added that Elizabeth lived in Moree for 'many years' before dying in Sydney. Some family trees show that Elizabeth Ward died in Auburn in 1924 and was buried at Rookwood. (See NSW BDM Ref 16713/1924, aged 90 years).

1878 - Edward Warland returns to mining, and selling papers

The Sydney Morning Herald of Saturday 27 April 1878 included a notice from the Department of Mines, Sydney, dated 24 April 1878 titled 'Notice to Applicants for Mineral Leases, stated that Edward Warland had been granted a mining lease (No 430) of 40 acres in the county of Hardinge, Parish of Swinton, Tingha, 52. At the time, Edward was newly single and only 43. Perhaps his new life caused him to return to his old mining ways.

By the end of 1881, an Edward Warland (or Edward's 23 year old son with the same name?) won a 3-year Government tender worth £80 per annum to provide conveyancing services between Tingha and Staunifer three times a week, by horseback with packhorses when required. (Source: Australian Town and Country Journal, Saturday 31 December 1881)

By May 1883, Edward Warland had been appointed the local agent for several newspapers.

The Australian Town and Country Journal of Saturday 17 November 1883 ran a report of a court case involving Edward Warland's son Septimus Warland. Titled 'FINED FOR SELLING NEWSPAPERS ON SUNDAY', the article read as follows:

At the police court, Tingha, November 8, 1883, before W. W. Frazer, P.M., and Walter Kennedy, J.P., Septimus Warland appeared before the Bench charged with selling newspapers on Sunday last. Plea, not guilty. In addition to the police, two witnesses were called, who stated they had bought papers from the lad on that day, paying for them, had been subscribers through the local agent for some months, sometimes paying cash, sometimes monthly. For the defence, Edward Warland stated he was local agent for "Town and Country", "Sydney Mail", "Bulletin," &c., and on arrival of mail on Sunday afternoon received his bundles of paper through the post, laid them on the verandah of post office; he and defendant (his son) supplied subscribers who liked to come. Others defendant carried round and left at subscribers' residences in town. Witness stated that some three years ago he laid the case before the then police inspector of the district, who stated the police were not justified in interfering with him, and any person, purchasing a paper and paying for it was virtually a subscriber for the time being, but he was not allowed to hawk them through the streets. Witness also said that some three months ago he stated the case in a letter to the Inspector-General, giving the inspector's opinion, and asking his, as witness did not wish to act illegally. The reply was handed to the bench, but was simply to the effect that on inquiry it was found the police had not interfered. Witness continued to supply as usual, as the reply did not state he was acting illegally, and he did not "hawk" his papers. The bench considered the case proved, as the law distinctly stated he must not follow his usual occupation on Sunday, and fined him 5s, costs 12s 10d, to be recovered by levy or two hours in the "stocks." Fine paid.

On 9 July 1884, Edward Warland made a speech in favour of establishing a branch of the Local Options League in Tingha, as reported by the Australian Town and Country Journal on Saturday 26 July 1884. Edward was voted in as secretary of the League.

1887 - William Christopher Warland marries, has accident

William Christopher Warland (1860 - 1893) married Amelia Lily Madden (1866 - 1922), the daughter of James and Amelia Madden, in 1887 (NSW BDM Ref 5457/1887) at Inverell, the main town to the north of Tingha. Amelia's siblings were: Julia Madden (1861 - ), John Madden (1864 - ), Elizabeth Madden (1870 - ), Eliza Madden (1874 - ), Emily Madden (1877 - ), and George Madden (1879 - ).

William and Amelia Warland had one son, William H Warland, who was born and died in 1887 at Inverell (NSW BDM Refs 25482/1887 and 9791/1887).

Around September 1887 William Warland suffered from 'a fall of earth' and suffered some form of paralysis, preventing him from following 'his usual avocation'. (Source: The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser, 2 June 1888).

The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser on Friday 25 November 1887 noted that William Warland was lying in the Inverell Hospital, suffering from paralysis of the spine (something his father also claimed to have suffered 'a few weeks before the war broke out' - see below). The paper noted that it was proposed '... to give two entertainments in aid of Mrs Warland, in Tingha and Inverell, which might raise sufficient money to place Mrs Warland in a small business'.

The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser of 2 June 1888 noted that on 28 May 1888 a 'complimentary benefit was given by our local amateurs in aid of Mr. W. C. Warland, a miner, who was injured some 12 months ago by a fall of earth'. The article continued that 'the audience was the largest ever assembled within the Masonic Hall, and some £40 was netted by the entertainment, which is to be repeated throughout the district. Warland is an Oddfellow and a Good Templar, members of which lodges marched in regalia from the lodge-room to the hall on the benefit night. The Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney) of 16 June 1888 noted that second entertainment: 'A DRAMATIC ENTERTAINMENT was held here last night by the Inverell amateurs, in aid of W. C. Warland, a young man, who, about fourteen months ago, met with a serious accident, whereby he sustained a severe injury to the spine. The public hall was crowded, and a good sum was realised.

William and Amelia Warland moved to Sydney, possibly to try to start a new life. The New South Wales Government Gazette (Sydney, NSW) of 16 November 1888 (Issue No.716) included the following notice: 'General Post Office, Sydney, 1st November, 1888. The undermentioned persons have been authorized to sell Postage Stamps from the dates set against their names respectively, viz.:- 1888. ... 25. Mr W C Warland, 42, George-street West, Sydney.

1887 - Ernest Robert Steele Warland marries Amelia Stringer

Ernest Robert Steele Warland (1865 - 1940) met Amelia Stringer possibly through his employement on the railways at Tamworth. They married in 1887 (NSW BDM Ref 7182/1887) and had the following children:

Ernest Robert Steele Warland spent his whole working life with the NSW Government Railways. He is very likely to have been the Ernest Warland who was reported in the Evening News (Sydney) on 13 December 1890 as a coal guard who lacerated his leg terribly after he slipped and fell under the wheel of a coal waggon at the junction of the Bullock Island (area in Newcastle) and main line to Newcastle. He was the Station Master in the Newcastle area and also lived in Bathurst.

1888 - Septimus Herbert Warland apppointed agent, cycles

Septimus Herbert Warland (1869 - 2 September 1942, Ryde) was apppointed in 1888 as an agent for the The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser (as reported on 24 July 1888). He was involved in cycling and was a member of the NSW Cyclist's Touring Union (Source: Australian Town and Country Journal 31 October 1896), as was, it seems, his brother Edward Warland, especially so at Hillgrove (Source: Australian Town and Country Journal 8 February 1896).

1889 - Edward Warland (senior) makes representations for John Madden

In May 1889, Edward Warland of Tingha made strong representations in favour of 'the condemned youth Madden' who had been sentenced to death for the attempted murder of James Cosgrove of Waterloo, by poisoning, seeking a commutation of the sentence. John Madden was probably Amelia Madden's older brother. (Source: The Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser, 7 May 1889). Details of the crime can be read in the Singleton Argus, 1 May 1889, page 4 under the banner 'A Youthful Poisoner'. Madden was reprieved on 7 May 1889 and the sentence commuted to imprisonment for ten years with hard labour)

1890 - William and Amelia Warland in Sydney

William and Amelia Warland are recorded at Goulburn Street, Sydney, in 1890, possibly establishing himself as a printer.

1893 - William Christopher Warland dies.

William Christopher Warland died aged 33 in Sydney in July 1893 (NSW BDM Ref 1028/1893). Unfortunately his death notice is not very informative and does not mention a wife; his funeral notice in the Sydney Morning Herald on 24 July 1893 states that he was a printer and lived at 230 Castlereagh Street, Sydney, when he died. The Lodge of the Good Templars (LOGT) Grand Lodge placed a notice of condolence to relatives of 'Brother W C Warland' in the Evening News (Sydney) of 28 March 1894.

William Warland's will, dated 1 April 1891, states that he left his estate to his wife Amelia. Witnesses to the signing were his brother Septimus Warland, and William Spicer Short. Probate was granted on 14 September 1893.

1896 - Septimus Herbert Warland, insurance agent, has a cycling accident

An article in the Albury Banner and Wodonga Express of 24 January 1896 (repeated in other newspapers) noted Septimus Warland as an agent of the Citizen's Life Insurance Company, at their Annual Meeting in Sydney (Source: Sydney Morning Herald, 20 February 1896). It read:

An accident of a rather serious nature happened to Mr. Warland, the well-known insurance agent, while riding to Tamworth on his bicycle last Wednesday (reports the Bingara Telegraph). From what we can learn, it appears that previous to leaving Bingara on that morning Mr. Warland stripped his machine of its brake, and signified his intention of putting up a record. He reached Bell's Mountain all right, and was descending on the Barraba side at full speed, and on turning the last curve into the siding he ran into a pack horse which was being led up the mountain by a drover. By the impact both the horse and the cyclist were upset; the former was uninjured, but Mr. Warland had the misfortune to fracture his arm, and his bicycle was smashed beyond repair, while he was also severely bruised and cut about the head and body. The drover merely used words which would not look well in print, and went on his way without waiting to see if the unfortunate man was seriously hurt, and Mr. Warland had to wait until the coach came along and resume his journey by it to Barraba, where his injuries were attended to.

The accident did not deter his cycling interests. Septimus H Warland 'one of the most prominent members of the League of NSW Wheelmen' rode from Sydney to Grafton, a journey of 2000 miles. His report of his travels was reported in the Clarence and Richmond Examiner on Saturday 11 July 1896:

Sydney was left on April 11th, and Newcastle reached on the 12th, where I was met by the boys, and accorded a right good welcome. I started north at 9.30 a.m., Maitland was cleared at 11.30 am., although I must say that the 22 miles dividing such important towns are the roughest that I have seen, considering the traffic on it. Greta was reached at 12.30, where a halt waa made at host Champion's Tattersalls hotel for lunch. From the junction of Cessnock road to Lochinvar, 7 miles, a perfect piece of road will be found, which enabled me to clock the distance off in 30 minutes. Between Lochinvar and Greta some tiresome hills will be found, but hill climbing will be compensated with excellent views of the Hunter valley and river, studded with its pretty and costly Bullwarra homesteads. Arrived in Singleton, an excellent hour's run being experienced. Being unable to see the branch secretary, I pushed on again at 3.30, arriving at Muswellbrook at 6.30 p.m.

After leaving Singleton you will find a tiresome drag of a couple of miles, but returned by a good run on until you come to the place known as the "Grass Tree," a hill which is almost perpendicular, and inconsequence has to be walked both up and down. 1 3/4 miles out of town a very nasty gully has to be crossed, which requires great attention to avert accident. The night was put in with the members of the local branch which, although in its infancy, bids fair to be one of the best in the colony. Thus I had put in 82 miles for my first day, Wednesday, 22nd April, at 6 a.m. found me again peddling out of town, but this time surrounded by mud and slush, as it set into rain during the night, but not the slightest daunted I plodded on, passing Aberdeen with its savoury chilling works at 6.40. Scone was reached at 7.15. The last 17 miles was a perfect perish, as the roads were beastly and heavy rain falling. Scone left at 8 a.m., Wingen will be passed at 8.30.

A few miles further a halt was made, and a little time lost in inspecting the costly homestead of Mr. W. L. Abbott (brother of the Speaker), and the burning mountain, which has been a bone of contention for many years, some asserting that it is a burning coal seam, while others maintain that it is of volcanic origin. You then commence to drag up the "Warland's Range," which I may mention was called after an uncle of mine, who in the forties was the first white man to cross the range and settle in Murrurindi (then a wild bush), His means of locomotion was a team of oxen, rather different to my 22 lb cycles. Two miles of heavy work will bring you to the top, and affords you a good run down to Murrurindi, through Blandfort and Haydon-town, which place I reached at ll. A land mark will be found on the range top in the form of a monument to the late Peter Clarke, who lost his life in attempting the capture of Wilson, the bushranger. The old residents tell me that Clarke was a drover who encountered Wilson and attempted his capture, and in a severe struggle Wilson shot him fatally. But, as if fate intervened, Clarke in his death grip fastened on to Wilson's wrists, holding him until the police arrived, Wilson, with the assistance of a knife and his mouth, had hacked Clarke's arms frightfully, but to no avail. The monument, a neat piece of granite workmanship, bears the following inscription: "To the memory of the late Peter Clarke, who was shot by Wilson, the bushranger, near this spot on 6th April, 1803, This monument is erected by public subscription to the honor of the brave deceased, wno lost his life in attempting the capture of such a notorious criminal."

Left Murrurundi next morning; found the town to be an exceptionally slow place. Commenced to climb the Liverpool Range, three miles long, with a walk down of a mile, owing to the greasy roads. Here again the scenery was good; some beautiful panoramic views of Murrurindi being visible at every turn of the range. Passing Doughboy Hollow, let me stop to recall its historic origin. This particular spot in the mountain was the favourite camping ground of the once notorious Jewboy gang of outlaws, and it was in this particular gorge in the mountain that they were captured one evening about 7 p.m., in the act of enjoying a late tea of doughboys, hence the name. From the foot of the range a level run of 9 miles will bring you to Willow Tree, which place I passed at 7.15, clocking off the last nine miles in 30 minutes, Wallabadah was reached at 9 a.m. for breakfast; road not too good, owing to the amount of loose metal. Awheel again nt 0.30, I found a terrific piece of road before me. First I had to drag up Sugarloaf Mountain, the surface of which was either raw metal or clay blinding, Leaving the bad mountain road behind, you will encounter worse in Goono Goono Plain, which is simply eight miles of rough, unformed black mud, over which I had to lead the wheel, and in some places carry it, stopping every half mile to scrape the mud off the tyres and frame.

The remaining 16 miles into Tamworth is fair in dry weather, but after rain a tiresome mud trudge. Tamworth was reached at 2.30, and started for Manilla at 4, reaching town at 6, thus putting up 100 miles for the day, over the heaviest roads I had ever crossed. Next morning awheel at 9 a.m. Barraba - the scene of the McKay bank sensation, over which Cummins and Lee met their death - was reached at 1, and Bingara at 6, being a total of 415 miles for 4 1/2 days. Made a stay in Bingara for a couple of weeks, some high times being spent with the club mates. A visit was made to the old Ballarat and Bendigo gold mines, from which no less than £60,000 of the dust was obtained, also to Monte Christo and Kimberley diamond mines. I was entertained at a farewell picnic to the latter place prior to my departure. Inverell, Glen Innes, Tingha, and Emmaville were visited, the latter place being left on 21st instant for Deepwater. This being my old branch, I was escorted out of town 10 miles by the members, and met by the Deepwater boys and escorted into town.

Leaving Deepwater on 22nd inst., I encountered, a few miles out of town, a snow storm, and had to ride through falling snow and cutting winds for two hours - a most unpleasant task. Nothing of interest will be seen on the road until you reach the 20 mlle peg from Glen Innes (the top of the Big, or, as now called, the Hampden Hill). From the top of the Hill to Yellow Jacket, 13 1/2 miles, a splendid view of mountain scenery will be passed. Owing to a late start and the coldness of the day, I decided to stay at Yellow Jacket for the night. Awheel again on 23rd inst. A very pleasant ride brought me to Buccarumbi at about 5 p.m., a good amount of time being lost in taking snapshots with my Kodak. Getting a start again about 9 a.m., Grafton was reached at 1, bringing the total registration of mileage up to 1800, and with another 200 added on for the city, totals 2000. During my trip I have arranged an universal cyclists hotel tariff right throughout for the Metropolitan Branch of the League of N.S. Wales Wheelmen.

It is Mr. Warland's Intention to settle down In Grafton, having taken over the duties of travelling representative of the Australian Widows Fund Life Assurance Society for tho northern rivers, with our city as headquarters.

The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser ran an article on 'The League of New South Wales Wheelmen on 25 July 1896. The article included the following photograph, showing Septimus Herbert Warland at the far left of the back row.

The League of New South Wales Wheelmen

1897 - Amelia Warland (nee Madden) marries William Robert Turner

Amelia Warland (nee Madden) re-married William Robert Turner in 1897 at Waterloo (NSW BDM Ref 8676/1897). William and Amelia Turner had several children:

Amelia Turner (nee Madden) died on 30 May 1922. The Sydney Morning Herald of 30 May 1922 included a brief notice describing what happened to her:

COLLAPSED IN STREET. Amelia Turner, 45 [sic - she was born in 1866 so was actually 56], living in George-street, Waterloo, attempted to run across the street by her residence at noon yesterday, when she collapsed and fell. The Civil Ambulance conveyed her to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, where Dr. Thomas admitted her in a serious condition.

The Sydney Morning Herald of 31 May 1922 included two funeral notices for Amelia Turner:

The Friends of Mr William Robert Turner, Mr and Mrs H B Charlesworth, William, and Violet, are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their beloved wife and mother; which will leave her late residence, 61 George-street, Waterloo, today, at 1 o'clock, for the C. of E. Cemetery, Rookwood, No. 4 Platform.

The Friends of Mr and Mrs Alfred Rowley, Mr and Mrs W. White, Mr and Mrs T Howard (Warnervale), Mr and Mrs G Madden (Enfield), Mrs W Henn, Mr J Cunningham, Mrs Walter Campbell, and of Mr and Mrs C Cunningham and families are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their beloved sister and aunt, Mrs Amelia Turner; which will leave her late residence, 61 George-street, Waterloo, at 1 o'clock, for the C. of E. Cemetery, Rookwood.

A year later, Amelia's son William ('Willie') placed the following notice in The Sydney Morning Herald of 29 May 1923:

TURNER. In loving memory of my dear mother, Amelia Turner, who passed away May 29, 1922. Your end came sudden, mother dear. It made us weep and cry; But, oh, how hard it was We could not say good-bye. Inserted by her loving son, Willie.

Amelia's husband Robert Turner may be the person of that name who died in November 1943 (Source: The Sydney Morning Herald of 20 November 1943).

1898 - Edward Henry Warland marries, moves to Tenterfield (by 1908)

Edward Henry Warland (1858 - 1917) appears in the Sands Directory at Tingha as a carpenter in 1890. He was involved in cycling in the area - see below. Edward married (Johannah) Hannah Anderson, the daughter of Patrick and Mary Ann Anderson, at Hillgrove, east of Armidale, in 1897 (NSW BDM Ref 3294/1897). Edward and Hannah Warland had the following children:

From the birth locations, it seems that the couple moved to Tenterfield before 1908.

Late 1800s/1900 - Edward Warland in politics

Edward Warland senior appeared more extensively as a correspondent or in local news in newspapers from the end of the 1800s.

Edward Warland was one of five men listed as a trustee of the Tingha Temporary Common in the NSW Government Gazette dated 12 November 1897 (page 8178). In 1899, Edward Warland was appointed secretary of the newly-formed Progress Association in Tingha. (Source: The Australian Star, 14 November 1899, Page 8)

On Tuesday 11 September 1900, the Minister for Works visited Armidale to discuss the proposed Glen Innes - Inverell railway. The Minister, it was said, favoured the Glen Innes route while a large deputation, headed by Edward Warland, urged a re-survey of the Guyra - Inverell railway route 'before a motion advocating the Glen Innes route was put before Parliament' especially given growth in the mining industry in the Tingha, Bora Creek and Boggy Camp centres since the Works Committee reported on rival routes eight years earlier. (Source: The Inverell Times, 12 September 1900)

On 6 October 1900, Edward wrote a lengthy letter from Tingha to the Sydney Morning Herald on the subject of the New England Railways. He noted that the Minister for Works had visited Armidale 'on the 10th ultimo' to discuss the possibility for a line of railway from the main Northern line to Inverell, primarily based on the growth of the area as a mining district since the early 1890s. Edward stated that a railway line from Glen Innes to Inverell was supported by the Minister but expressed concern at the construction of 'any more political railways' that would entail 'an enormous amount of taxation of future generations'. (Source: Sydney Morning Herald, 9 October 1900.

1900 - Death of Elizabeth Steele, George Steele remarries

Elizabeth Steele died in 1900 (NSW BDM Ref 3064/1900, noted in the Daily Telegraph of 21 February 1900) and George re-married Sedelia Hurst in Sydney the same year (NSW BDM Ref 7673/1900). George and Elizabeth lived at Thurston Street, Lemongrove, Penrith.

1901 - Edward Warland's activities

Edward Warland resigned as the honorary secretary of the Progress Committee of Tingha in January 1901. (Source: Bundarra and Tingha Advocate, 2 February 1901)

At a meeting of miners and others held at the Tingha Town Hall on Saturday 2 November 1901, a protest was made against 'the exorbitant Federal tariff' on miners. Such taxation was on 'everything they consumed, together with tools and machinery' and as a result their purchasing power was considerably reduced. The Armidale Chronicle of 6 November 1901 noted that the action of 'Australia's Noblest Son' in misleading the electors in his far-famed Maitland speech was condemned by all. Edward Warland proposed a resolution expressing the indignation of the meeting at the proposed tariff.

1902 - Death of Sarah Steele (nee McCann)

Sarah Steele (nee McCann), the wife of Samuel Steele, died on 7 March 1927. Her obituary was caried in The Catholic Press, Sydney, on 17 March 1927:

Another of the hardy pioneers passed away on Saturday; 6th inst., at the great age of 95 years, in the well-known and highly-esteemed person of Mrs. Steele, whose death, occurred at her residence, at Warwick, near Cowra. The deceased lady, who was a native of the Hawkesbury district, was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Patrick McCann. She married, at Nepean, the late Mr. Samuel Steele, and came to the Cowra district over 40 years ago. Her husband predeceased her by 24 years. Four sons, Messrs. Thomas and James (Warwick), Samuel (Eugowra), and William (Sydney); and one daughter, Mrs. William Castles (Warwick), are left to mourn the loss of a fine old Catholic mother. The funeral on Sunday afternoon to the Catholic portion of the local cemetery was exceptionally well-attended. The Rev. Father Ring read the last prayers. - R.I.P.

1906 - Samuel Alfred Steele marries Sarah Gallagher

Samuel Alfred Steele (1872 - 1937), the first son of Samuel Steele (abt 1829 - 1902) and Sarah McCann ( - 1927), married Sarah Ellen or Nellie Gallagher (1887 - 1934, Orange, NSW) in Molong NSW in 1906 in Roman Catholic Church, Cargo NSW. They had the following children:

1908 - Edward Warland's letter of grievance

On 22 February 1908 Edward Warland, at Tingha, wrote a letter of grievance to the Guyra Argus, published on 27 February 1908. The letter stated:

Sir,— The nomination for Councillors for the Guyra Shire Council was advertised in the TINGHA MINER on the 14th ult,, and it stated that the necessary forms could be obtained from the Shire Clerk, and that all nomination papers must be in the hands of the Returning Officer at Guyru not later than 6 p.m. on the 17th ult. I obtained one of the forms and filled it up, posting it to go via Elamore to Guyra on 17th ult,, and a few days afterwards I received a note from the Returning Officer stating that my nomination paper was informal, and it did not reach Guyra until 10.30 p.m. on that date and did not reach him till 9.15 on the following day. I then wrote explaining that it was impossible to obtain the necessary form in time, and that I appealed on the following grounds.— (1) That sufficient time was not given us. (2) That the necessary forms should have been obtainable in Tingha. You will observe that to have written to Guyra by the first mail leaving here it would have been impossible to have obtained the forms and have had them in the Returning Officer's hands in time. Up to the present time I have received no reply as to whether my appeal has been entertained or not. I also wrote to the Shire Clerk re the duties of Inspector, but to this date I have received no reply. I then wrote again on the 22nd ult., asking the same question and on the 27th ult, he replied that the duties of Inspector are laid out in the Act and ordinances which 'may be seen at this office'. That letter did not reach me til a week after its arrival in Tingha, as it was directed to 'Mr E. Walien, Tingha.' On the envelope was written 'opened by E. Walker in mistake.' Rather funny that the Clerk should make such a mistake, as he had received three letters from me, besides my name being on the printed roll of electors. Fortunately I had put in my application for the office, but as yet no reply as to whether my services are accepted or not, but the last issue of the 'Miner' reported that the new Inspector is appointed and, strange to say, he holds two appointments already under the Shire Council - all they can confer - and I suppose if they had more to give him they would. In conclusion I may state that as I can get no satisfaction from the Shire Council, I intend to lay the matter before the Minister, as justice I want and justice I will have, if possible, not only for myself, but for the electors of the Shire, I am, etc, EDWARD WARLAND, Tingha, 22/2/08

On 10 June 1909, a special meeting of the Liberal Reform League was held in the Public Hall at Tingha. The meeting was called in response to a letter from the secretary of the New England Electoral Council, requesting them to select two delegates to attend a meeting at Tamworth on the 16th, to arrange for next Federal election. Edward Warland, along with A J Dunshea, were 'unanimously elected as delegates' and were to leave for Tamworth on 22 June 1909. (Source: The Armidale Chronicle, 16 June 1909. Also reported in the Sydney Morning Herald of 14 June 1909)

1909 - Septimus Warland marries Annie Moore

Septimus Warland married Annie Maria Moore in Sydney in 1909 (NSW BDM Ref 3393/1909). There are no births recorded for the couple from 1909 to 1915. Sands Directories show Septimus Warland at Bexley, at the Nanola Dairy and Produce Yards (1903), Wahroonga, Brooklyn (as a Nurseryman), in Carlingford (1924), Epping (1926), Eastwood (1928) and possibly also at Gladesville. Septimus and Annie Warland lived at Hunter's Hill in Sydney.

1909 - Arthur Samuel Warland killed in mining accident

Arthur Samuel Warland (1862 - 2 July 1909 (WA BDM Ref 108/1909) never married. He travelled to Western Australia where he worked as a miner in Boulder. Arthur was killed on Friday 2 July 1909 in a mining accident. According to the Westralian Worker of Friday 9 July 1909 '... he was boring a hole in the bottom of a crosscut and must have bored in to the remains of an unexploded charge'. Arthur's father Edward Warland was notified the same day by telegram (wife). His funeral was held the following day, Saturday 3 July 1909, and he was buried at the Kalgoorlie Cemetery. The Armidale Chronicle of 10 Julky 1909 noted that Arthur had been mining for the last 30 years at Tingha, Hillgrove, Broken Hill, and for the past 10 years at Boulder City. (Sources: Kalgoorlie Miner, 3 & 5 July 1909; Westralian Worker, 9 July 1909; The Armidale Chronicle, 10 July 1909).

The Evening Star (Boulder, WA of 29 October 1909 ran a notice that 'administrations were granted by the Supreme Court during the past week, net values being given: . . . Arthur Samuel Warland, late of Boulder, miner, to West Australian Trustee, Executor, and Agency Co., Ltd., £657 1s. 10d.

The Kalgoorlie Miner (WA) of 19 November 1909 ran a notice relating to Probate in the Supreme Court of Western Australia: 'In the Matter of the Estate of Arthur Samuel Warland, Late of Boulder, in the State of Western Australia, Miner, Deceased, Intestate. Notice is hereby given that all persons having any Claims or Demands against the Estate of Arthur Samuel Warland, late of Boulder, in the State of Western Australia, Miner, deceased, intestate etc'

1911 - Edward Warland and the railway lines

Edward Warland senior appears in the electoral rolls in 1903, 1906 and 1909 with the occupation of 'farmer'. His name does not appear in the electoral rolls for 1913 or 1915. An inscription in a book given to him by his grandson, Oswald Edward Warland, is dated December 1911.

An Edward Warland communicated with the Public Works Department in October 1911 regarding the need for a stopping place at the junction of Kingsland and Kerr's Road in connection with the construction of the railway from Rookwood to Bankstown. The same Edward Warland called attention to the bad state of Kingsland Road in July 1912. (Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate, 21 October 1911 and 31 July 1912.)

A railway line to connect with the northern line either at Glen Innes or Guyra was still the subject of discussion and consideration in May 1914. The Public Works Committee sought more evidence at Tingha that month. Edward Warland, said to be an orchardist of Tingha, 'said he had been 40 years in the district' and had '40 acres of land and could grow as fine fruit as any orchardist in the Colony but on account of there being no market close at hand he lost about 75 per cent. He could make a good living from his orchard. He considered the Guyra line the proper one'. (Source: The Tamworth Daily Observer, 29 May 1914)

1912 to 1918 - Lives of the children of Ernest Robert Steele Warland and Amelia Stringer

Ivy Pearl Warland married Albert E Taylor in Woollahra (Sydney) in 1912 (NSW BDM Ref 16621/1912).

Ruby Warland married Stanley G. Butler in 1915 in Ashfield (NSW BDM Ref 14668/1915). Ruby and Stanley Butler lived in Polding Street, Drummoyne. Ruby gave birth to a son at her mother's residence, Kensington Road, Summer Hill, on 18 April 1917. (Source: Sydney Morning Herald, 23 April 1917)

Oswald E Warland married Grace Cordelia Lymer (the daughter of William Henry Lymer and Christine Mary Campbell) at the Methodist Church, Stanmore, on 17 November 1918 (Source: The Sun, 13 January 1918). Oswald and Grace Warland had two children, a daughter, Thelma J Warland who died at Petersham in 1919 and a son, Keith Warland who lived in Caringbah, NSW until around 2003. Oswald and Grace Warland appear to have moved to Queensland at some point. Oswald Edward Warland died in Queensland in 1969. Grace Cordelia Warland died in Queensland in 1971.

1915 - Death of George Steele, railway guard

George, a railway guard living at 2 Park Road, Marrickville, died on 25 August 1915. The Leader (Orange) of 27 August 1915 noted that George was 'a well known railway guard between Sydney, Orange and Forbes for many years past'. The Nepean Times (Penrith) of 28 August 1915 ran the following brief obituary:

The death occurred at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, on Wednesday last, of a well-known railway guard, in the person of George William Steele, of Marrickville, at the age of 50 years. Deceased met with an accident while on duty several weeks ago, which necessitated his remaining at home, and then he contracted pneumonia and bronchitis. He resided in Penrith for about 14 years, moving to Marrickville some three years ago. He was married twice, his first wife's death taking place while residing at Penrith, after which he married Mrs [Sedelia?] Fitzpatrick, mother of Mr Lionel Fitzpatrick, of Penrith. There were nine children (five girls and four boys) by the first marriage, and two (one girl and one boy) by the second. Mrs Norman Dunkley, of Penrith, is a daughter. Two of the deceased gentleman's sons have enlisted for the war. The funeral took place on Thursday, the remains being interred at Rookwood.

1915 - 1917: Edward Henry and Hannah Warland

The son of Edward and Hannah Warland, Edward E ('Ted') Warland, was listed as a candidate from Armidale who was successful in passing the Qualifying Certificate Examination, as reported in The Armidale Chronicle of 27 January 1915.

The son of Edward and Hannah Warland, John ('Jack') Warland, an 18 year old miner, enlisted for World War 1 on 17 January 1916 (Service number 5478) and served as a Private in the 5th (or 25th) Machine Gun Battalion. John listed his father Edward Henry Warland and his mother Johanna Warland as his next of kin and his address as 'Torrington via Deepwater'. He was wounded in the ankle in action in France in July 1918. He returned to Australia in October 1919 by which time his father had died.

Edward Henry Warland appears in the electoral roll in 1916 in Torrington, NSW.

Edward Henry Warland died in Tenterfield on 3 November 1917 when his youngest child Arthur was only 7. His obituary in the Tingha Advocate and North-Western Journal (NSW) of 16 November 1917, repeated in The Inverell Times (NSW) of 20 November 1917 read as follows:

Obituary. Mr. Ted Warland, a former resident of Tingha, met with a sudden end at Torrington on Saturday, 3rd inst. In a letter to Mr. J. Sullings, of this town, Mr. Ernest Warland gives particulars of the sad occurrence. It appears that the deceased saw a number of children trying to yard a cow, and he remarked to his wife that he would go and give the youngsters a hand. He was then apparently in the best of health and spirits. Accordingly, he saddled his horse, and, after some trouble, succeeded in getting the beast into a paddock. As he did so, he remarked to its owner, 'Well, I have yarded it, and I will see that it does not get out again.' So saying, he jumped off his horse and stooped down to pick up the rails. As he did so he fell and expired. Deceased leaves a widow and five children, one of his boys being at the front.

Edward Henry Warland was buried on the following Monday afternoon, 'nearly every man on the field attending'.

Hannah Warland then moved to Cessnock with her children before 1925.

1920 - Isabella Jane McCrossin (nee Steele) dies

Edward Warland's sister in law, Isabella Jane Steele (later McCrossin), died on 9 October 1920 at Wandsworth. She was 94. (Source: Daily Observer, Tamworth, 14 October 1920). Both the Guyra Argus of 28 October 1920 and the Uralla Times and District Advocate of 6 November 1920 carried a detailed obituary of Isabella.

Edward Warland's self-obituary

Edward Warland wrote one more letter to the Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser, printed on 1 March 1921 under the heading 'OLDEST LINK WITH THE ROCKY.

Sirs,—In last issue of the 'Sunday Sun' I notice a paragraph sent from Armidale stating that the late Mr. John Bliss was the oldest link between the old Rocky River gold field and Armidale. I landed on the Rocky on Jan. 2 1854, and was for a time engaged in mining. When the river and Maitland Point and other small rushes were worked out, I went over to Mudgee and settled down for a time on the Meroo. Leaving there, I retraced my steps to the old Rocky River, where Mount Jones had just broken out, and there I obtained a situation in the store of the late, Wm McCrossin. Afterwards I bought a working share in the Hamburg tunnel, on Mount Jones, and was working there for some time till we sold out to a party of Chinese. After that I obtained a small mail contract from Uralla to the Rocky, and on the expiry of which I entered into the service of the Education Department, holding office as teacher at Uralla and later at Narrabri, and subsequently at Saumarez Creek Public School. When the tin mines opened up I removed to Tingha. For some 40 years I was engaged there, fruitgrowing and mining. A few weeks before the war broke out I was unfortunately stricken with paralysis in the left side, but fortunately since my removal to a more genial climate and a sound constitution I am still able to trot about the garden, seldom using a stick. I am able to do many little things for myself and, strange to relate, I can read and write without the use of glasses. I enjoy cracking a joke or spinning a yarn with old friends, and they all consider I am a 'wonder', mere especially as, in course of a month I shall have arrived at the age of 86 and may hang out for some time to come. I think by the above statement that you will award me the credit of being the last Rocky miner in existence. Yours, etc., EDWARD WARLAND. P.S.- I was one of the first subscribers to the 'Express,' and as a friend sends it to me regularly I look anxiously for it; as it reminds me of the days long ago. 3 Epping Rd., Double Bay, 22/2/21.

Edward Warland died on 2 August 1922 at Toddington Private Hospital, Petersham in Sydney. His death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald of Saturday 5 August 1922 states that Edward, 'late of Tingha', was the father of Ernest R.S. Warland of Kensington Road, Summer Hill (not far from Petersham) and Septimus H Warland of William Street, Brookvale, and he was 87 years old. (Note that the same newspaper on 3 August erroneously showed his age as 78).

1923 - Death of Mary Jane Stringer (nee Wyatt)

Mary Jane Stringer (nee Wyatt) died 30 November 1923 (NSW BDM Ref 19433/1923) in Tamworth, NSW, Australia.

1923 onwards - Ernest and Amelia Warland in Carlton, Sydney

Ernest and Amelia Warland were recorded from 1923 in Carlton (suburb of Sydney). Ernest Robert Steele Warland lived at 70 Kensington Road, Summer Hill. His last posting was Station Master at Summer Hill. Amelia Warland, 'late of Summer Hill', died on 4 April 1940. Ernest died a couple of weeks later on 26 April 1940 at Western Suburbs Hospital, and was also said to be 'late of Summer Hill, formerly of Bathurst'. He died on 26 April 1940 at the age of 74 at Western Suburbs Hospital. He was said to be 'late of Summer Hill, formerly of Bathurst' (Source: Sydney Morning Herald 29 April 1940)

1924 - John Warland crashes a motorbike, friend killed

On 5 June 1924, Edward and Hannah Warland's son John Warland was out with a friend on a motorcycle with a sidecar when he crashed in Fishery Creek, near Cessnock. His friend, George Potts, was pinned under the motorbike in shallow water and drowned. (Source: The Telegraph, 6 June 1924). On 11 August 1924, John Warland was fined £5 'for having ridden a motor cycle while under the influence of liquor, when his friend George died. (Source: Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, 12 August 1924). In July 1925, John Warland was charged with using indecent language in Wollombi Road, Bellbird (in the Cessnock area). (Source: The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder, 21 July 1925)

1928 - Arthur Warland injured in a fire

On 30 November 1928, Arthur Warland was burned about the face and chest when he was lighting a spirit stove at the family home in Vincent Street, South Cessnock. He was admitted to Cessnock Hospital. (Source: The Newcastle Sun, 30 November 1928)

1929 - Ethel Warland passes an exam

Ethel Warland passed a technical exam in dressmaking at Cessnock in February 1929. (Source: Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate 1 February 1929). On 20 December 1929, Ethel Warland, 'the youngest daughter of Mrs H Warland of Vincent Street, South Cessnock' and 'one of Cessnock's most popular young ladies, celebrated her 21st birthday at the house of Alderman Mr Robert Elliott, McFarlane Street, South Cessnock. It was said that 'her kindly and amiable disposition ... made her a great favorite with all. Whether in home life or church work, she had always been thorough and sincere in her actions. She was a daughter of whom any mother may feel proud and a friend worth of every trust'. (Source: The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder, 11 January 1929). Ethel's brother Arthur proposed a toast.

1931 - John (Jack) Warland heads to Western Australia

The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder of 10 April 1931 noted that: Mr. Jack Warland, of South Cessnock, doesn't consider distance any object when he wants a job. Recently Jack worked for a big company which had a contract at Pipers' Flat (where MacDougal topped the score). The next contract was in West Australia. Jack didn't mince matters, for, after spending a holiday at South Cessnock with his mother, he packed his port and started the long track (per car) for the West. The spirit of a true Australian.

It seems possible that John Warland met Clarice Johnson (formerly Taney, nee Hemy) when he reached Western Australia. See this story for more details.

1931 - Edward Warland in the news

Edward ('Ted') Warland, 'who for some time has been an inmate of Cessnock District Hospital recovering from injuries received in an accident at the Elrington Colliery', had recovered sufficiently for him to return home but 'it will be some time before Ted is able to resume his former occupation'. (Source: The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder, 31 July 1931). Edward Warland was charged with 'behaving in an indecent manner' in Vincent Street, Cessnock, on 10 August 1931. He was fined in default of three days' imprisonment. (Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury, 25 August 1931)

1931 - Death of Sedelia Steele

Sedelia Steele died in 1931 (NSW BDM Ref 276/1931) at 427 Riley Street, Surry Hills. Both George and Sedelia Steele were buried at Rookwood Cemetery.

1932 and 1933 - Ethel Warland on holiday

Ethel Warland left for a month's holiday in Sydney in March 1932, according to The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder of 18 March 1932. She holidayed in Dungog in June 1933, according to the Dungog Chronicle : Durham and Gloucester Advertiser of 9 Jun 1933.

1934 - Edward Warland in the news

Edward Warland was was seen leaving the Northumberland Hotal in Cessnock 'during prohibited hours' on Sunday 11 February 1934 and was fined £1. (Source: The Newcastle Sun, 6 March 1934).

1934 - Arthur Warland in the news

Arthur Warland was noted as a 'relief worker' residing at South Cessnock in a court case relating to the theft of three fowls in August 1934, at which he gave evidence. (Source: The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder, 14 August 1934).

1934 - Edward Warland marries

Edward Warland married Mary B Howard in Cessnock in 1934. They lived at Alfred Street, Cessnock, and had a daughter, Denise Warland. (Source: The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder, 22 May 1945, noting that the 9 year old Denise had been admitted to hospital).

1937 - Death of Samuel Alfred Steele

Samuel Alfred Steele, the son of Samuel Steele and Sarah McCann and husband of Sarah (nee Gallagher), died on 29 June 1937 at Forbes. His obituary was carried in The Forbes Advocate on 6 July 1937:

OBITUARY Mr. Sam. Steele Cowra "Guardian" reports the death, in the District Hospital at that centre last Tuesday, after an illness of some two weeks of Mr. Samuel Alfred Steele, aged 64, who was a farmer at Waugan, near Forbes, for many years. Deceased who was born at Penrith, had just disposed of his property and had intended residing in Cowra. At Cargo, when 32, he married Miss Nellie Gallagher, who predeceased him by three years. He leaves three sons, Samuel Patrick, Thomas John, John Raymond, and eight daughters, Ruby Veronica, Jean Plascus, Joyce Lillian, Joan Mavis, Norma and Dorothy, Mrs. Wright, and Mrs. Jolliffe. All the members of the family reside at Eugowra. Four brothers, William (Bathurst), Thomas and Edwin (Billimari), and James (Eugowra) and one sister, Eliza (Billimari), also survive. The remains were laid to rest in the Cowra Catholic cemetery.

1937/1938 - Edward and William Warland in the news

On 3 June 1937, Edward Warland injured his right thumb in an accident at Elrington colliery. (Source: Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, 4 June 1937).

William Warland, of Williams Street, Cessnock, suffered a probably fractured foot when coal fell on his foot in March 1938. (Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury, 7 March 1938).

1938 - Ethel May Warland marries

Ethel May Warland married James Burke in Cessnock in 1938. (NSW BDM Ref 16874/1938)

1941/2 - Death of Septimus and Annie Warland

Septimus Warland died at Ryde Memorial Hospital on 2 September 1942; Annie died on 29 October 1942.

1942 - John Warland enlists for WW2

John Warland (who may have separated from his wife Clarice by this time) recorded his mother Hannah as his next of kin in 1942 (address - Vincent Street, South Cessnock) when he enlisted at Goomalling, Western Australia for World War 2 on 19 March 1942 (WX35128). He was assigned to the 62nd Australian Corps Field Park. His address was Royal Chambers, Brookman Street, Kalgoorlie. He did not leave Australia during this period of service. He died in Western Australia in 1954.

1943 - Edward Warland in the news

Edward Warland was again injured at Elrington colliery on 5 April 1943. His left hip was gashed by a fall of coal. (Source: The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder, 6 and 13 April 1943, and The Newcastle Sun, 5 April 1943).

1951 - Sudden death of Ruby Dixon (nee Steele)

Ruby Dixon (nee Steele), the daughter of Samuel Alfred and Sarah Steele born in 1919, died in 1951. Her death at age 32 was noted in The Forbes Advocate on 16 February 1951. It stated that Ruby was 'Born at Cowra ... the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Steele, and the family lived in the Eugowra district for many years'. Her sudden death was said to have been 'a shock to her relatives and friends'. The notice stated that Ruby's three sisters, 'Mrs. A. Wells, of Eugowra, Mrs. Ron Hoswell and Mrs. R. Wright, both of Vychan, still resided in the district'. Ruby's other sisters were noted as 'Mrs. Brit, Orange; Mrs. Walsh, Wollongong; Mrs. C. Jolliffe, Mt. Kembla; and Miss D. Steele, Orange'. Ruby's three brothers were 'Sam, Wollongong; Tom, Forbes; and Jack, Sydney'.

1953 - Death of James Steele

James Steele, presumed (based on the details here) to have been the son of Samuel Steele and Sarah McCann, died on 27 February 1953. The Forbes Advocate of 3 March 1953 noted that he was 76 when he died and a single man. He had been living for some time with Mr Roy Wright of Vychan. The same newspaper on 6 March noted that James Steele '... was well known in the district, as he lived in the Cowra and Eugowra districts all his life. A bachelor, he lived with his niece, Mrs. A. Wells, and family for many years and lately had been staying with another niece, Mrs. R. Wright, and family of Vychan. His health had not been good in late years and he was an inmate of Forbes Hospital for six weeks prior to his death. Three brothers and one sister predeceased him and one brother, Edward, of Billimari, survives him. The funeral took place at Forbes on Friday.

1952 to 1962 - Hannah Warland in the news, dies

Hannah was recorded in The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder as being admitted to the Cessnock District Hospital in January 1952 and again in September 1953. Hannah Warland died in 1962 at Cessnock (NSW BDM Ref 2949/1962).

Until 1980 - William and Arthur Warland in the electoral records

Both William Warland (born 1905) and Arthur Warland (born 1910) were recorded in the electoral records at Cessnock until at least 1980. It is not known when they died.

2006 - Ethel May Burke dies

Ethel May Burke (nee Warland) died in March 2006 aged 98. (Source: Ryerson Index)

Page created 1985, last updated 9 May 2020. Copyright Andrew Warland.